Tooth Logger Help

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Tooth Logger Help

Post by Max Welton »

I am using a 36 - 1 trigger wheel on an air-cooled VW engine with a Ford F150 VR sensor. Like this:

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68 ... index.html

Problem is that while the tach signal seems fine while cranking (ignition and injectors disabled), I'm getting weird behavior when I actually start the engine. I have attached two logs, one while cranking and one running (sort of).

I'm new to this. What does that look like?

I'm running MSExtra Rel 2.1.0p

Max
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Tooth Logger Help

Post by Max Welton »

Sorry ... here is my CurrentTune

Max
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Man.... That is some old firmware! :o
You might want to update that.......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

kjones6039 wrote:
Man.... That is some old firmware! :o
Depending on the exact version that's about four years old. Lots has changed since then.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

OK, I'll update the firmware tonight and see if it changes anything.

Max
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

Firmware now 3.2.5. No change.

So here's what I'm seeing. The tooth-log looks normal when just cranking. Let the engine start and I start loosing the signal.

Any ideas?

Max
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You're seeing noise pulses - the little "dips" in the screen shot posted are noise, pulses that shouldn't be there.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

OK, that makes sense.

I'm using a pre-made harness from DIYAutotune from several years ago and I don't think that wire is shielded.

Thanks!

Max
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

We've used shielded wire for the crank sensor input in our harnesses for the past 8 years or so - it's possible there may have been an unshielded version sold here before I worked here.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

It has worked fine using the stock coil (-) as the trigger for three years.

But I also have a very recent DIY harness that includes a bit more of the pinout that I was planning to use on an MS3 project. I may retask it to this car as it supports the spare-4 pin which I need for the 2nd coil driver output anyway.

Max
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

Progress. First, I misspoke about the IGN wire not being shielded. It is shielded, was just buried under some wrapping I had used when I set it up initially. I re-routed it for better separation with the HT leads and installed the 10k resister. The miss went away. But I was getting drops (visible in the trigger logger) at idle.

So I went back and read http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/toot ... mples.html some more. There is an example of what the tooth logger looks like when the VR is wired backwards. Looked a lot like mine (when cranking).

So I reversed the VR wires and my tooth-log looked normal ... and the sync-loss at idle cleaned up.

It's magic, I say. Magic!

So now I'll set about pulling out the stock coil and installing my IGN4.

This place is great!

Max
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

I was going to suggest that the other day lol, but when I had my vr wired backwards it looked almost identical to the diy example pick and didn't want to possibly send you on a goose chase.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Wasted Spark Help (was: Tooth Logger Help)

Post by Max Welton »

So now that I've swapped out the single coil for an IGN4 coil pack, I'm having a new problem.

The engine ran fine for a few minutes, enough for me to get ~5 miles from home, then TS gave me this weird message:
error.GIF
I was able to restart by cycling the ecu, but it would die again a < 30 seconds later. I repeated this long enough to get back home.

So, the message indicates "serial noise", but the timing seems more like something that is temperature related.

This was working fine when I was driving a single coil so it's something to do with introducing the ING4 in wasted-spark mode.

PS: The engine would continue to run for several seconds after that dialog came up. The attached log shows some of the trip home. The "Time" trace shows the intervals to the stoppage.

TIA

Max
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

there is something up with your voltage in to the ecu its reporting up to 28v guess that will cause a reset have a look at the alternator maybe?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

grom_e30 wrote:there is something up with your voltage in to the ecu its reporting up to 28v guess that will cause a reset have a look at the alternator maybe?
Not to mention, when Batt V goes to -1740.8! :shock:

I would be looking at grounds (and wiring in general) along with the alternator.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

Wow. Good eye!

The voltage regulator is right close by where I mounted the MS and the FI harness passes close by as well. Entirely possible I dislodged something. Back out to check.

Max
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Those reported values in the datalog are serial corruption, it is impossible for them to be real.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

OK, replaced the voltage regulator. Actual voltage now does not exceed 14.5 volts. The TS dashboard gauge and the datalog read almost a full volt higher than what my volt-meter says.

It starts right up and runs well, but still only talks to TS for a short time before the previously posted dialog comes up. Now that I know the actual bus voltage isn't dangerously high I think I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see if will halt or just stop talking to TS on my laptop.

Max
Max Welton
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Max Welton »

The plot thickens.

The old windows laptop I've been using in-car has been having random problems with its USB interfaces and also hanging while shutting down. So I pulled out an even older PC running Linux and TunerStudio MS v1.006 (!) Using the old Linux machine I was unable to get TS to freeze or MS to stop working. And BatV reported through TS was in agreement with measured voltage at the generator.

So my new theory is that my windows laptop has some sort of fault that is capable of taking down the ECU through the serial i/f.

I'm going to drive around like this for a while and see what happens.

Max
maxwelton
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by maxwelton »

Max Welton wrote:So I went back and read http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/toot ... mples.html some more. There is an example of what the tooth logger looks like when the VR is wired backwards.
Can someone point me to the tooth log examples? The old link doesn't work.

Max