Barometric fuelling and timing correction

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Barometric timing correction?

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Philip Lochner wrote:Where do I get 3.3.1? Keen to try it. Search does not search on 3.3.1...
The sticky thread with 3.3.1 in the subject: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=52147

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

It's stickied in Support, not Development. Got me a little confused ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I updated the Downloads page.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

jsmcortina wrote: Have you tried the current release 3.3.1 ?
I looked at it James....

It does not offer barometric timing correction, thus I can not use it.

This is a very, very important feature to me. If others don't see why, I recon they simply have not encountered the barometric issues I have OR they simply don't realise/understand how "big a deal" this really is to run the engine optimised at all altitudes.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Help! Baro correction not working in gslender FW mod

Post by jsmcortina »

What features do you think were being deleted?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help! Baro correction not working in gslender FW mod

Post by Philip Lochner »

jsmcortina wrote:What features do you think were being deleted?

James
I thought I read that Barometric timing correction was going to be deleted, but perhaps this does not apply to the regular Extra code since its never been there?
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
scottmeister
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Barometric fuelling and timing correction

Post by scottmeister »

Here in South Eastern Australia we do quite a bit of 4x4 driving in the mountainous regions. Often, elevations in a single track will vary from 300 m to 1700 m ASL. For my setup with onboard MapDaddy Baro (see sig), I did try and use % baro but found that my engine had only a mild increase in VE with increasing altitude (due to exhaust back pressure reduction). Too much fuel was added, and timing was too retarded. This meant I have now reverted to speed density with fuel correction only; circa 2.5% additional fuel per 500 m altitude increase. I agree that it would be optimal to alter timing as a function of baro in a similar way. However, since my home altitude is sea level the problem you have is not such a big deal for me since I tune at maximum baro pressure. I imagine it would not be difficult to implement.

Cheers,
Scott
Nissan Patrol GU/Y61 TD42T mechanical injected 6 cyl diesel with 30 psi of boost
Jatco RE4R03A transmission
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Philip Lochner wrote:The possibility of Barometric fuelling and timing correction being dropped scares me in a big way
Is it your challenge to make the most posts to this forums about a single issue in one day?

Also, how can baro timing be "dropped" when it hasn't been added?

James

Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

jsmcortina wrote:
Philip Lochner wrote:The possibility of Barometric fuelling and timing correction being dropped scares me in a big way
Is it your challenge to make the most posts to this forums about a single issue in one day?

Also, how can baro timing be "dropped" when it hasn't been added?

James
I panicked. My sincere apology. Won't mention this ever again.
Kind regards
Philip
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2/Extra wish list

Post by Peter Florance »

Philip Lochner wrote:
Philip Lochner wrote:A timing advance retard table vs Baro - similar to MAT based advance/retard.

I never could understand why, when travelling to the coast (dropping from 1500m / 4500ft) to sea level brought with it the onset of pinging, even at partial throttle despite stating out with timing map with 0 pinging. I thought that having an absolute pressure based timing map would eliminate altitude related pinging and that I would only have to tune the high kpa bins once I get to sea level. It is important to understand that I tuned the engine at 1500m where I live and can not tune bins higher than 85kpa because that is WOT at this altitude.

When you have 60kpa MAP at higher altitudes, is it not the same as having 60kpa MAP at sea level? After doing the sums as reported here (http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 20#p203139 - and assuming they are indeed correct) I now understand that 60kpa MAP at higher altitudes, may not be the same as having 60kpa at sea level by virtue of different cooling drops over the TB causing different air densities, which could also be contributing to different AFRs and ultimately different timing requirements. Combine this with the effect of changing back pressure at the exhaust....

Fortunately I realised that changing my trigger offset would move the entire table up or down and this is how I sorted the problem on the way to the coast - PC on the wife's lap :oops:
Further to the above posting, I have posted this (http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=52326) hoping to present a case as to why BOTH fuelling AND TIMING barometric correction is needed and should be offered by all FW versions of MS.

There is talk of timing correction in particular being dropped and I'm having a hard time explaining to the devs (and convincing them) why this feature is definitely needed. I was so convinced (and still am) that I need this feature that I PAID a code writer to add this feature for me!! I was having detonation issues on my high compression Rover V8 even when dropping from 1500meters to 1000m.
Phil, was this car dyno tuned for ignition timing? If so, what altitude?
Did the motor detonate at part load or full load?
Thanks
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Peter Florance wrote:Phil, was this car dyno tuned for ignition timing? If so, what altitude?
Thanks
Peter, it was dyno tuned (on a load dyno) for timing at 1500m.

This is the interesting thing, it detonated at partial load around 60-70kpa (around 2600rpm) after having dropped from 1500m to ONLY 1000m!!! Stepping on the gas pushed the load up to beyond 85kpa where we entered conservative guestimates which turned out to be conservative enough to avoid detonation. Once I got to sea level I did tune those bins by "seat of pants" method (advance till ping, retard 4 degs.)

Now that I have Baro based timing correction (compliments of gslender) I no longer have this issue and no longer need to fiddle with MS settings as I travel along varying altitudes.

This issue is a particular problem on high compression normally aspirated engines which are subjected to varying altitudes - and ever more so if fuel octane is lowish. Someone who's engine was tuned at sea level may not ever know that his engine may have untapped reserves (with advanced timing) when going to higher elevations but most likely will ascribe diminished performance to altitude only (less dense air) - thus won't even understand / see the need for this feature.
Kind regards
Philip
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Philip Lochner wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:Phil, was this car dyno tuned for ignition timing? If so, what altitude?
Thanks
Peter, it was dyno tuned (on a load dyno) for timing at 1500m.

This is the interesting thing, it detonated at partial load around 60-70kpa (around 2600rpm) after having dropped from 1500m to ONLY 1000m!!! Stepping on the gas pushed the load up to beyond 85kpa where we entered conservative guestimates which turned out to be conservative enough to avoid detonation. Once I got to sea level I did tune those bins by "seat of pants" method (advance till ping, retard 4 degs.)

Now that I have Baro based timing correction (compliments of gslender) I no longer have this issue and no longer need to fiddle with MS settings as I travel along varying altitudes.

This issue is a particular problem on high compression normally aspirated engines which are subjected to varying altitudes - and ever more so if fuel octane is lowish. Someone who's engine was tuned at sea level may not ever know that his engine may have untapped reserves (with advanced timing) when going to higher elevations but most likely will ascribe diminished performance to altitude only (less dense air) - thus won't even understand / see the need for this feature.

Interesting...
I'm wondering whether cars should be tuned at two different altitudes or if this can be modeled somehow.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Sellig78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Sellig78 »

Hi

As posted before that matter is the cylinder pressure. If you're lived in high altitude the cylinder air mass filling will be less important than at sea altitude. So in order to avoid this a real engine load should be use in the spark table instead of a pure MAP. With this when you're travelling across different altitude the engine load vary and MS hit the good spark advance in the table (of course you need to set the table at sea level).

It's easy we have already the VE values.

Cheers

Gilles
Gilles

1991 BMW M5 3.6 ms2-ex
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Excuse me for barging in like this, but is there really a difference in cylinder filling for a given MAP depending on if it is caused by altitude or throttling? If tuned for max torque at all high MAP cells, will this deviate at altitude?
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I must add that I don't see how the pressure differential across the throttle has much to do with the pressure differential across the intake valve. So if you measure the intake manifold pressure correctly, you should have the correct cylinder filling regardless of baro pressure. The only difference would be the exhaust pressure difference but I thought that this is what is already taken into consideration.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

I've read somewhere that who drag at high altitudes uses higher compression ratios than at sea level.
In ms3 is possible with table blending, but would be nice a specific function for decrease timing based on the altitude, both on ms2 and ms3.
Enrico
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa GSi MS2
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Philip,
I, for one, read your post with great interest. And I will read it again, many times to make sure I understand what you are trying to convey.

Thanks for your point of view.
Robert
'53 VW Beetle Street Baja dual port 1641 MSnS-Extra
Sellig78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Sellig78 »

Hi,

The MAP sensor doesn't measure the engine load. It measure the difference of pressure before and after the TPS.
If you removed the TPS, the MAP will give close to the atmo pressure=WOT.
But even at WOT the engine load is not always 100%. If you look at you're look at your VE table you will see a maximun value for a fix MAP/RPM (if you have the AFR incorporated) witch correspond to the 100% engine load.
That's why a engine load/RPM ignition table is better, the spark advance depends only of the quantity of air inside the cylinder. So if you're travelling at different altitude the engine load will change and the spark advance too.

All OEM use this in their EMS for the spark table.

Cheers
Gilles

1991 BMW M5 3.6 ms2-ex
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Sellig78 wrote:But even at WOT the engine load is not always 100%. If you look at you're look at your VE table you will see a maximun value for a fix MAP/RPM (if you have the AFR incorporated) witch correspond to the 100% engine load.
That's why a engine load/RPM ignition table is better, the spark advance depends only of the quantity of air inside the cylinder. So if you're travelling at different altitude the engine load will change and the spark advance too.

All OEM use this in their EMS for the spark table.

Cheers
I'm not seeing how the method you describe would give a different result from the existing MAP/RPM spark table ? Or rather, you didn't discuss how your "engine load" is determined.

James

kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

The MAP sensor doesn't measure the engine load. It measure the difference of pressure before and after the TPS.
Huh? Is this correct? If so, how is the pressure measured on both sides of the Throttle Position Sensor? I thought I understood Manifold Absolute Pressure, but apparently I don't! :oops:

Did I just misunderstand this post? Maybe I shouldn't have sold that QuadraJet! :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance