cannot adjust the timing with the trigger wizard

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

cannot adjust the timing with the trigger wizard

Post by austinmf »

4 cylinder Running EDIS with the megasquirt II (turner studio). I am about 8 degrees off on the tooth vs VR sensor. I am almost at the 10th tooth. I subtracted 8 degrees (estimation) and put a timing light on the engine. It is 0 degrees at TDC and the trigger wizard is showing 16 degrees. No matter what I do it will not change from 16 degrees. The timing gun is showing

I changed to the run fixed 10 degrees and it ran like crap and died.

What am I doing wrong in the wizard? Dont I need it to read 0 degrees?

OK... just to verify.... I subtract until the timing light, timing mark and trigger wizard sync. The trigger wizard will stay at 16 degrees but adjusting the trigger wizard slows the engine slowing the timing gun????
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: cannot adjust the timing with the trigger wizard

Post by kjones6039 »

Sounds to me like your Tooth #1 angle is not correct.

You might want to look here: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_EDIS.htm

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by austinmf »

I am going to have to fab another vr sensor holder...... In the mean time, I am almost at the 10th tooth... 8 degrees off. Can I temporarily fix it in the software? Running Turner Studio
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

What is your #1 tooth angle set to?

Post your msq.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

EDIS is best setup so that the built-in limp timing does indeed give the intended 10 BTDC.

Note that there's no tooth#1 angle setting for EDIS.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by austinmf »

I am going to change it with a new bracket but I am running -8 degrees in the trigger wizard and it is running like crap.

So is there no way around the being a tooth off? I was thinking I could fix it with software until I could get a new bracket.

I do not see where to adjust it.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As mentioned, post your MSQ.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jsmcortina wrote:EDIS is best setup so that the built-in limp timing does indeed give the intended 10 BTDC.

Note that there's no tooth#1 angle setting for EDIS.

James
That's what happens when I get my plexiglass bellybutton fogged up and can't see when my head is where the sun shineth not!

I was actually trying to find out which tooth the sensor was pointing at when at tdc. Which, of course, should be tooth #9 for EDIS4.

My apologies for the confusion. Alzheimer's, me thinks............

Ken
austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by austinmf »

Here are my files. Thank you both for the help!!

Running a 4 cylinder 1342 firing with EDIS 36-1 and megasquirt II 3.57 all factory built. Using the standard ford VR sensor that I believe is almost on the 10th tooth and not the 9th like it should be... addressing that by fabbing another bracket

LC-1 wideband sensor and EV-1 injectors. Car should be 2 liters with a 292 cam.
austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by austinmf »

So I am not seeing a way to adjust my tooth angle. I went from EDIS to TOOTHED WHEEL but that did not work.

My 4 cylinder is almost on tooth ten which would be ok for limp mode.

I cannot figure out how to adjust the timing with the trigger wheel. I should be looking at 90 degrees with the wheel but I am actually looking at 98

Can I fix it in Turner Studio?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

It's been a long time since I ditched EDIS in favor of direct MS control, but I think what you're looking for is Trigger Angle/Offset under Ignition Settings.

Ken

ps. Might I suggest updating to the latest release code also? (3.3.1 I think)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The settings look OK to make an adjustment and it ought to work. However, as Kevin says, you are running an old firmware (Jan 2011) and it is possible that the angle/offset was broken for EDIS back then.

I would suggest that you upgrade to the current firmware, being sure to read the RELEASE-NOTES text file.

James

austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by austinmf »

That helped A LOT!!! thank you for that. I was able to adjust the base timing and get it on.

Can you see the logs showing my tooth logger? It is not showing up in the turner software. The trigger logger is just showing teeth. The car is running but not good by any means
hang 4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hang 4 »

austinmf wrote:That helped A LOT!!! thank you for that. I was able to adjust the base timing and get it on.

Can you see the logs showing my tooth logger? It is not showing up in the turner software. The trigger logger is just showing teeth. The car is running but not good by any means
I believe that TS "sees" EDIS as a distributor. So you really don't get a tooth log, just an indication of when there is an ignition event. So you don't see the missing tooth or what the VR sensor is doing. Someone more experienced than me will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I understand to be the case.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I believe that TS "sees" EDIS as a distributor.
Correct!

MS is triggered when the PIP signal is sent from the EDIS module, after the signal from the VR sensor has already been processed.
So, MS/TS never see the toothed wheel.

Ken
austinmf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by austinmf »

Well... shoot. That was the one hope I had that something was off.

I cannot seem to get this thing to run right at all. I am throwing in the towel and calling it quits. I have spent way too much time trying to get this thing to run right.

Thank you for all your help!
hang 4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hang 4 »

Don't give up yet. How is it running poorly? Are you using an adjustable timing light? Some lights can't handle wasted spark and have an error in timing. You need to set your car to use a fixed timing interval, that lines up with a mark on your crank wheel. Set the timing light to 0 if it's an adjustable one and then align the mark using the trigger wheel wizard. Once you have that done, your timing table does all the advance (once you set it back to "use table").

Where does your car idle? - Load and rpm - it's best to have your VE values relatively flat there so the idle doesn't hunt and have a bit of a timing valley - meaning a bit higher and a bit lower RPM have a bit more advance to also reduce hunting.

I'm not the greatest at reading logs, but it looks like you have a lot of advance 38' at prettily low load and rpm..

I spent a long time getting mine right, but now could not be happier.