Tuning Idle

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

midnite88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Tuning Idle

Post by midnite88 »

Hey guys, its me again. Been awhile sice I've been on but I decided to do some tuning to the ole truck again. So to begin with, what I have. I have a 88' F-150 in the process of turning prerunner/daily driver. Goes to and from work everyday. Its got a 302 poked out to a 306, Comp XE258 Cam, 533/544 split lift, full roller FI cam, standard E7 heads, the big truck intake with standard dual TB, AOD trans that I built with 4r70w gearset, 4:10 rear gears and 33's. Also running a MS2Extra with 3.3.0 Firmware running batch fire injection, TFI for spark, PWM idle control. Pretty basic really. It runs great down the road but I cannot get it to idle for crap. Its either 12.0:1 afr or it starts surging if I lean it out. Id like it to idle in the 14's if possible but she gets cranky when I go that lean. I need to make a datalog during idle for you guys but my current tune is below. I know its a little rough, I just recently did the 3.3.0 firmware update and had to start over with alot of the tune, only to realize there is 3.3.1a now, dope :oops:
MidnightTune3-21-14.msq
88' F150 5.0 TFS Heads Comp XE258 Cam....Block now in two pieces
93 Foxbody...under construction Barra 4.0T
94 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
97 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
08 Buell XB12R, custom exhaust, soon to be turbo'd and MS3'd :yeah!:
ewflyer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Tuning Idle

Post by ewflyer »

just a thought here: I've noticed that a couple of people in past threads have mentioned solving idle issues like yours by changing the "number of squirts". Maybe the number of squirts is something that starts to make a difference as the engine slows down to idle speed. Like I said, just a though.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Changing performance by changing number of squirts is often a sign that your injector dead time is incorrect. It's actually a rough and ready tuning technique to flip back and forth between 1 squirt simultaneous and 2 squirts alternating, all the while adjusting the dead time. When the AFR is the same for 1 and 2 squirts, the dead time is pretty close.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

dontz125 wrote:Changing performance by changing number of squirts is often a sign that your injector dead time is incorrect. It's actually a rough and ready tuning technique to flip back and forth between 1 squirt simultaneous and 2 squirts alternating, all the while adjusting the dead time. When the AFR is the same for 1 and 2 squirts, the dead time is pretty close.
Wouldn't that still be 1 squirt per bank... in other words, no difference to dead time between 1 squirt simultaneous and 2 squirts alternating? Believe that to do the dead time rough tuning technique, you'd have to go from 1 squirt simultaneous (or 2 squirts alternating) to 2 squirts simultaneous (or 4 squirts alternating) (respectively)
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

You are correct. More / less squirts shows the problem, same number of squirts doesn't change anything.

*sigh* More coffee ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Just for info I have an XE262 and my best idle an indicated 13.2. Always has been carb or efi. No good at 14.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
midnite88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by midnite88 »

Thanks for the replies guys. XE262 is pretty close to hat I have. I think I may have slightly more duration on my cam, been awhile since I looked at the card though. I did change from 2 to 4 squirts alternating because of batch fire. I'll try going back to 2 to see if this helps. Also, is it worth my wile updating to the 3.3.1a code before fusing with it much more?
94 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
97 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

from what I can tell, its always a good idea to upload the latest firmware for your ecu, they are fixing bugs or adding features or they wouldn't be making the new versions... I would update before spending to much time tuning... the bug they fixed might be something you are fighting...
don't worry about idle afr being 14.? because every engine like a little different idle afr, mine prefers to be about 13.8, since you are not worried about passing smog you just want a smooth idle, so go with whatever afr gives you the idle you want.
good luck.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
midnite88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by midnite88 »

Well, figured out part of the problem, my fuel pressure regulator took a dump and was proving crazy fuel pressure right before the diaphragm popped and started spraying fuel all over my engine bay, made for a interesting drive home.
94 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
97 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock