weird cylinder firing issue

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

inis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

weird cylinder firing issue

Post by inis »

So after a week of playing with this, I'm to the point of giving up. So I got the car running last week, I've had it on MS before but have upgraded to 3x and have had issues since. Current issue is cylinders 3 and 4 do not run consistant with 1&2, 3 will get some fuel but 4 wont. Okay so I go to a older tune that I started with last week, the problem reverses to cylinder 1&2 and 3/4 are fine. I've updated the firmware from 1.2 to 1.3.0 (I think). Ive toned out the wiring, checked everything over. I can't figure this out for the life of me.

I know the datalog is going to show lean, but I've messed with the tune a lot. Still doesn't explain why cylinder 3/4 are super lean.

Specs:
Turbo ford zetec (built/dry sumped etc)
36-1 stock flywheel cps, single trigger cam cps (from a ford focus)
IGN-1a's
ms3x and JBperf IOX board (widebands and vss)
individual cylinder widebands preturbo with backpressure compensation
id1000 injectors / return fuel system 43psi idle
full sequential
MS controlled boost controller (not tuned for yet)

Attached are my files
DiyAutoTunes: 3.57 ms3x , Jean's IOX board, IGN-1a's, boost control, 4 chan uego. Running full sequential on a built and boosted zetec
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: weird cylinder firing issue

Post by hardline »

Inis, it looks like there is something going on between either your AEM UEGO controller and the IO Extender or MS is looking at the wrong table on the IO Extender for the data. AFR should be rippling, not flat. Example. Here is a screenshot from my car at idle. Same engine, different O2 Sensor provider (Innovate vs AEM)

My Datalog

Your Datalog
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

Fixed broken image links
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Pull the plugs and confirm #4 is really that much leaner than the others? Should be easy to spot. Since they're all getting the same pulse width from the same size injectors its easier to believe that you have a problem with your AFR readings.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
inis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by inis »

I've narrowed it down to plugs not firing correctly. I'm running motorcraft copper plugs, I can see the plug firing on the inside but not the tip. I bench tested with NGK's and they fire correctly. Will be swapping to the NGK's here soon and see what happens.
DiyAutoTunes: 3.57 ms3x , Jean's IOX board, IGN-1a's, boost control, 4 chan uego. Running full sequential on a built and boosted zetec
inis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by inis »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPbeFKq71M

motorcrafts on the right, ngk's on the left ..motorcrafts are less than a week old. Over the course of 3 days of tuning with less than 10 miles I was dropping cylinders one at a time. Ended up being the plugs.

Idles good now with the NGK's.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Looks like it's trying to impersonate a surface discharge plug. I'd guess a cracked insulator.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
inis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by inis »

What's weird is all 4 doing it, over a week one by one. As of yesterday it was running on one cylinder with the 4th being the one in the vid.