Cranking Issues with Cosworth Engine

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Cranking Issues with Cosworth Engine

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

Hello all,
I am having cranking issues with a Cosworth BDG Engine.

Engine Specs:
Cosworth High Compression BDG 4cyl 16v 2.0L DOHC

Injector Specs:
Nissan Nismo 013 0Y03 Flowrate 480cc DeadTime @ 13.2v - 0.677 (one per cylinder)
Independent Throttle bodies (one per cylinder)

Ignition Specs:
Wasted Spark
Quadspark Ignition Module from DIYAutoTune
F-652 Dual Coil Pack by Diamond (2 coils per pack, 2 packs)

Trigger Specs:
In Distributor 4 Tab Hall Type Crank Sensor
In Distributor 1 Tab Hall Type Cam Sensor

With about 10% throttle open, it will crank easier and sometimes fire up. I have tried lean and rich setting for Cracking pulse. It seems to like about 45% pulse width best for cranking. It Backfires allot with more fuel. Since the throttle bodies are mounted direct to the block (no manifold) I am leaving the Priming Pulse to 0 (off). I am attaching the .msq and short datalog file.

The datalog contains several cranking attempts and one successful turn. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Cranking Issues with Cosworth Engine

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

Forgot to mention
Firmware is MS Release 1.2.4 20130907
Tuning Software is TunerStudio MS v2.5.05
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Try switching to 1.3.0 and enable the crank taper feature. Made mine helluva lot easier to start over a wider range of conditions. Then, you can leave the prime pulse for what it really is meant for - purging vapour from the system, i.e. on the order of a millisecond or two.

The emulate some OEM systems, I have the crank taper set to 225% for 3 cycles, then 125% at cycle 4 and quickly falling to 100% after that. Makes quick starting without flooding quite easy.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Usually, if you need throttle to start, backing off the cranking pulse width is likely to help. I'd also agree with Subwoofer that trying the 1.3.0 code and cranking pulse width taper is likely to make things easier.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

@subwoofer- thanks for the quick response, I will try it out and report back. It's awesome that you mentioned vapor lock, cause this engine requires allot of juice to crank over. I honestly think holding the throttle slightly open is to help the starter turn over more than anything.

@Matt- thanks for keeping an eye out for my post! You guys are the best!! I will update and try it out!
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

You've got a constant sync loss, reason 17, 2nd trigger not found when expected. 29 sync losses in that datalog, its never going to start until you fix that.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

elutionsdesign wrote:You've got a constant sync loss, reason 17, 2nd trigger not found when expected. 29 sync losses in that datalog, its never going to start until you fix that.
@elutionsdesign- WOW!! Thank you so much for pointing that out. Up until now, I never used "Lost Sync Reason". This is the first time I run a MegaSquirt fully sequential. That's an awesome little parameter.

--Unfortunately, I haven't even had a chance to fire up the engine since the update. The starter took a poop.
Afterwards, I read this in a Ford Forum---
"Fully open throttle and crank for three or four seconds with starter motor. Ease off throttle to approx. 1/3 open and switch on
ignition whilst engine is being cranked. Reduce throttle opening when engine fires."

What a bummer, my starter was already fried. These engines have mad compression. I needed a 4 foot extension when I was turning the engine over by hand to find TDC. Then I remembered to pull the plugs.. :oops:

But I feel pretty confident now with an updated ECU and a target issue that makes total sense! Thanks to elutionsdesign!!
ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

--UPDATE--
With the new starter, updated software and new cranking pulse taper feature in version 1.3 , the car fires right up!! Just needs a smidgen (about 2%)of throttle to help the engine breathe while cranking. Thanks to everyone for the help. This will be my first time using the Tune Analyze Live function. I will do a search for some info and maybe start another thread if I don't find what I'm looking for.