tacoma 3.4l injector timing

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

tacoma 3.4l injector timing

Post by h2omatt »

I am putting a 2001 Tacoma 3.4L(5vz-fe) motor into a old jeep cj5. I am running a mega squirt 3 with ms3x. I can start the motor and rev to 2000RPM. I am using a base map through DIYautotune. I think my injector timing table is wrong and looking for some advise on correcting it.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: tacoma 3.4l injector timing

Post by billr »

Are saying it will only get up to 2000 rpm? Is that under load, or just free-revving? Post a run log.
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

It will rev till 2000RPM then I believe fuel is cutting. there is no load on the motor
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Injector timing is not going to have that severe an effect. Post a run log.
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

I attached a run log. could this be a issue with the crank sensor pots?
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

Turns out it is a problem with the crank sensor conditioning pots. I did some adjusting and it is reving better now.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yes, you caught it by yourself, but "sync loss count" was the first thing I was going to check in the log.
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

It seems to be the everytime I get the trigger level is determined by the settings on R56 pot, and the hysteresis level is determined by R52 pot to where the motor will rev under no load. I then lose cranking signal. so I then re adjust pots to gain crank signal again. I read from DIYAutotune I may need to add 10 to 20k resistor. If I add resistors any suggestion on size resistor and do I add them to both wires. I will post a run log when I get a chance to do some more testing. Looking for suggestions.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What type of crank sensor, VR, Hall, opto?

:msq:
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

I am using the stock VR sensor of the crank.
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

here are two run logs the first is where I get cranking signal and it will "rev limit" itself at 2000 RPM when R56 is turned counter clockwise
the second is when I adjust R56 clockwise til it revved to 3850 then it lost sync again. I could turn the R56 pot more clockwise but its seems counter intuitive because to start the motor again I have to turn counter clockwise to get cranking signal back.
I get a lost sync reason #2 for missing tooth

Do I need resistor in the the crank wire. if so, should it go on the megasquirt side or near the sensor. Also, what size resistor and should it be placed on both wires.
h2omatt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by h2omatt »

so I added a 20k resistor to the positive side of the crank sensor wire it seems to have helped with sync loss, which I no longer see.. I am now revving to 4500RPM and getting cranking signal a lot easier. I get a really bad back fire at 4500RPM and I know that the motor is running super rich. I should be able to rev this motor out to 6000RPM. I am going to get a 30K resistor and see if that helps fix the problem even more. I really need some suggestions on a fix.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post a tooth-log file, let's see what you have there.

Edit: You say the VR sensor is the stock one, but is the 36-2 wheel also the stock one? What kind of air-gap do you have?