New MS user - 350 TBI

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

New MS user - 350 TBI

Post by Tonka »

I've been building, installing, and now tuning a MS2 since the beginning of this year. I've learned a lot and made some really good progress by reading the manuals and searching through this forum. I have a 350 chevy, mild street type build w/ moderate compression, rv cam, vortec heads, fresh build. Its a good running engine. I'm using a Holley 2 barrel TBI on an air gap manifold. Here's specs on the MS:
MS2 v3
MS2/extra 3.3.2 firmware
controlling fuel and spark
small cap HEI 8pin module
The engine starts and idles great. It cruises pretty nice with stable AFR (at least I think its pretty stable). Acceleration causes AFR to get pretty unstable though. I've messed with AE and EAE quite a bit and haven't been able to get anything to behave like I think it should. I'm sure it's something I'm missing. Please look over my datalog and msq and tell me if you see anything that might be causing my issue. Or anything else that looks strange for that matter.

Thanks,

Tim
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New MS user - 350 TBI

Post by slow_hemi6 »

This shows the part of the map being used and circled is where it will be going if you kept accelerating hard. Those initial numbers are a bit lean but should be increased to produce afr around 12.8 ish but the numbers in the 2053 to 3640 are obviously way too low given what it wants prior to that.
issue 1.JPG
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

Thanks slow hemi. That seems like a pretty easy fix. I wonder why VEAL didn't already take care of it. I like VEAL but I've found, as others have indicated, it's not perfect. Did you see anything in my msq that looked weird? I've been playing with dead time a little. I don't understand it very well and I don't know (or haven't figured out yet) how to test it on the tbi. I have been enjoying the experience of tuning though. My fear is that I will never allow good to be good enough...I guess that's part of the fun though huh?
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

Did anyone happen to look at my ignition table? I worked on the ve table more today and I think it's pretty good. I have some transient stumble/misfire when starting to open the throttle after coasting down. Also I pulled some timing out in the cruise part of the map and that seemed to bring power up (as evidenced by higher vacuum). I still may have a little too much advance in some areas. I'll post a new msq and log tomorrow eve.
Tonka
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tonka »

Ok, I've done some tweaking to the VE table as well as the ignition table. I'm attaching a new datalog of some cruising as well as some moderate acceleration and deceleration. AFR still gets a little crazy but it's much better than before and the truck feels much better to drive. Anyone care to take a look? I tried over run fuel cut a little but that made the lean spike on decel much worse. I haven't studied much on the settings for that. Fuel cut is not enabled during the attached log.

Thanks,
Tim