See attached MSQ Tune to review...please

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

See attached MSQ Tune to review...please

Post by craigibc »

This has been an long project that I am finally going to finish up this summer. I am on the latest ver. of the firmware MS3X and I have attached the MSQ file. I will post some datalogs after work today.

62 Ford Falcon 302 w/paxton supercharger and a C4 tranny.

Can you review my tune and make some suggestions? Seems to idle pretty good now but the air/fuel keeps giving me an error.

I am going to bring a friend over this weekend and help with the tune some more but I was hoping to remove some obvious glaring issues with your expertise.

I did run the autotune last night for around 30-45 minutes.

I am still a novice just looking at this car in the driveway but I am finally committed to tune this megasquirt and get it running again. I am eventually planning on taking it to a shop and pay someone to finish the tune once the car is at least driving down the road.

Advice?

Craig
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: See attached MSQ Tune to review...please

Post by elutionsdesign »

Too much initial timing, too much pulled out at high load. Lumpy VE in the idle area, that will likely cause some oscillations. And you say supercharged but your ignition, VE and AFR tables only go to 100 KPa load. Those are my impressions without a datalog to look at.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

See attached datalog from just a few minutes ago.

Craig
craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

any thoughts on the data logs?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

That is an ignition trigger log from the Diagnostics and High Speed Loggers tab, go up to Datalog, Start, take a log, then Stop. Post up that file.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

Here is the updated datalog as requested. Once I can see what needs to be changed I am more than happy to do the homework but any insight will help me get the car running. Basically I am just idling right now and some revving of the engine but no driving since I feel this tune is not close to that right now.

Craig
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Yeah, there is a lot to change.

Is your WBO2 calibrated? What make/model is it? I find it hard to believe the idle is that steady at 22+ AFR and it acts like a switch when you blip the throttle dropping to less than 7 then immediately back up to 22+.

craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

It is a Innovate LC-1 and I followed the steps to calibrate it.

http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm#innovate_config

I will double check the settings.

Craig
craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

I checked to make sure the wideband is setup correctly in tunerstudio and it all seems right. I did review the AFR Table 1 as per the instructions but did not know what I should be looking at there.

Your AFR Targets Table will be under Fuel settings > AFR Table 1

Craig
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

What is your target idle? Have you synced the timing between the controller and the physical crank pulley timing yet? I see your idle attempts from 530-600 rpm, do you see where the KPa is on your logs? How big are the injectors and cam?

craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

I am going to work on the timing again tonight since I do not know where it was left around a year ago. I am basically going to start over from scratch on it. I just put a set of 30lbs. injectors and the cam was in the motor when we bought it. Not sure of the cam setup but was told it is a mild cam but do not have much more info than that on it right now.

I will see if I can get some more details about the cam from my kid when he gets home from work tonight.

Craig
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I just ground through the math calculation at what pulse width should be for your motor at idle of 550 rpm, it comes out roughly double what you're giving it so maybe I can believe the wide band numbers (22+ at idle). You really want to target 13-13.5 AFR at idle to begin, at least until you gain better understanding of the overall tune. Raise the VE in the idle area and decide what rpm you'd like it to idle at, start to work towards that. I'd set your timing to be around 10 BTDC in the idle area, add fuel until you have AFR's around 13, adjust the throttle opening to your desired idle rpm, re-adjust the fuel to 13 AFR, home in on your target. Ignore auto tune for now and in fact disable the auto tune in the idle area (put a lower rpm limit of 1000), you don't want VEAL to mess with your idle area once you've got it where you want it. Tuning is all about starting from a rock solid idle.

craigibc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by craigibc »

I am going to work through some wiring issues and also get this timing and config setup as you mentioned. I will set it up and let you know how it goes after it is completed.

Thanks again for your efforts. Hoping to get this car running by fall.

Craig