Home Stretch ... ?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Home Stretch ... ?

Post by jsmcortina »

streetrover wrote:Ok...so theoretically grom_e30 because the VE table is a factor in the PW calculations lowering every cell by say -- 10 -- would cause less fuel to squirt into the engine. And I could see the resultant change on my pulsewidth gauge. Even though I CAN do this, however, SHOULD I do this?
That is the basis of tuning yes. Adjust the VE table.

Those oxygen sensors are narrowband. While you can wire them straight in, they won't tell you a great deal compared to a working wideband.

What country are you in?

I've had success with TechEdge wideband controllers.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Hi James,

Thanks for the info on the O2 sensors. I'm in Los Angeles, California. Yeah, I was told the wideband was better. Just not looking forward to shelling out another $200 for controller/sensor kit. TechEdge eh.

Ya know, Innovate is based in Irvine, CA. Maybe I drive 60 mins and throw a fit in their store. Wonder if they'd swap it for a "good one."

Bob
Last edited by streetrover on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if the wideband is not very old it may be worth and email or phone call to see if they can offer any solution for it, i have seen the the innovate products have gotten a bit of a bashing questioning reliability and functionality but i have been running a lc1 in my car for the last 2 years driven daily and a lc2 for 6 months in my bike and although i have not tried another brand to compare to.... they are working for me without issues.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Hmmm...did a little more research and discovered that the sensor Innovate uses is a Bosch 17014 that fits a 99-05 VW Jetta 1.8L-L4. It's about $60 new. I think my earlier decision to try to "program" the controller/sensor is a good one. Gonna do that now...
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

have you checked your timeing with a light yet? it might be retarded.

i wouldnt touch the ve table yet, your idle and part throttle should be ballparked im willing to bet the higher loads a rich yet but don't want to chance it without knowing how much.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

streetrover wrote:I'm currently researching the specs on these to determine wideband or narrow band.
Pretty much look like narrow band to these old eyeballs!
If they're wideband I guess I'll need a controller.
Absolutely.
If they're narrow band can I just wire them straight into the ECU?
Pretty much....

On the other hand.............. I suspect you will find it very difficult to accomplish any meaningful tuning without a wideband.......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

More news...

I "programmed" the Innovate controller. I generally used the defaults except for one window. I've displayed it below.

I made a change to the voltage values for warmup and error codes. For the warmup instead of 0.00 I entered 1.00. And more significantly, for the error code value I entered 2.50. My thought was that even when the controller goes into E8 mode, it'll still be sending a voltage to the ECU that its reading halfway between 7.35 and 22.4 AFR (basically 15.0). Sure enough, just minutes into my drive the Innovate gauge went E8 but the TunerStudio gauge didn't plummet to 7:1. Instead it fluctuated between 12:1 and 19:1. Now, all this may be a pack of lies as ashford pointed out. I guess the next step is to find a way to calculate mileage (odometer doesn't work). Car sure does run better thanks to ashfords tunes!
Here are the logs I made after the changes.
2014-07-28_05.msl
2014-07-28_04.msl
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the problem with that is you are still feeding the ecu information that is next to useless how are you ever going to get the real afr the engine is producing close to where you want it to be if you still don't get reliable feedback from the wideband it still leaves you in a situation where tuning is going to be very difficult.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Granted. Need to wait til payday to order new Bosch sensor. Until then I'm going to check wiring a third time.