Home Stretch ... ?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Home Stretch ... ?

Post by streetrover »

Also, I went ahead and downloaded MegaLog Viewer (seemed like a good Idea if I'm really going to understand whats going on). Here's a screenshot of my last data log.
Where can you tell that I'm having noise or signal loss?

Thanks,
Bob
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

on the left the drop down boxes can be changed to view different info, look at the bat voltage see its all up and down, also can you see where the rpm drops to 0 and back up thats as a result off lost sync, can change a box to show lost sync count, what wire from the wide band did you attach in to the ecu????
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

This is the RPM drop and sync loss you're refering to right? I'm gonna try to add battery voltage to one of the graphs.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

yeah thats a good example of it there a few times you just have a small dip in rpm where it loses sync.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Okay,

I simplified everything. Here's another pic. I see what you mean by erratic battery voltage! Can this be smoothed by adjusting the vr pots ashord referred to?
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

From the looks of it though, the erratic battery voltage isn't CAUSING the sync loss is it?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the battery voltage is a whole different problem id be looking at the grounds for that one first, the vr pots have nothing to do with the battery. i think your correct with that as well, what ecu is this?? eg v3 diy main board or the 3.57 smd version?
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

This one shows "Engine." What exactly is that...it too looks rather erratic!
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

ECU is MS2-Extra firmware version 3.2.5

Honestly, at this point I think the first priority should be fixing the AFR. As it stands now I can get about a dozen "test drives" on a tank of gas ($48) If I can get the AFR up to 14.7 and stop drowning the motor in fuel I can test drive all day long without going broke!

Bob
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

that would be my plan of action if it was me, the engine relates to bits to indicate certain operations

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 98&t=31106

the 9 means the engine is running and in warm up enrichment, im not exactly sure what all of them mean though.
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Also, I noticed that the Innovate O2 sensor is "programmable." The MTX-L kit came with a serial programming cable and istructions found here:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... %201.2.pdf

I didn't program ANYTHING! I just installed the sensor in the exhaust bung, followed the wiring diagram (leaving the brown and yellow analog outputs taped out of the way) and let the MS2 do the rest. Did I miss a step ("programming" the sensor) that might be causing the AFR problems?

The manual says to:

But I'm NOT using an alternate fuel and I'm NOT using the brown or yellow ANALOG outputs. But perhaps I need to "update firmware?"
Last edited by streetrover on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

what wire did you connect to the ecu?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

grom_e30 wrote:what wire did you connect to the ecu?
That would be my question also! :shock:
streetrover wrote:(leaving the brown and yellow analog outputs taped out of the way)
The brown and yellow wires are the ones that normally go to the MS (one of them that is, depending on your setup).

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Ok...I misspoke....yellow wire is connected to pink wire which presumable goes to ECU. Grey (no brown?) wire taped. Black and white wires grounded. Red to switched 12v.
Last edited by streetrover on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ok that should be a 0-5v output so correct then, in tunerstudio did you calibrate the aft table under the tools tab??? if it was a new wideband did you follow the instructions and pre form the 'free air calibration'?? also where is the wideband powered from and grounded to??
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Yeah, I pretty sure I've got the yellow (0-5v) going to the ECU via the large multi-pin connector. There's a second wire labelled "O2" coming from the smaller multi-pin connector to the ECU (I think for a second sensor on dual-sensor applications) that I've got taped off as well. The grounds are grounded to the body ... I checked with a digital ohm meter and there is .000 resistance. The red reads 12v when I turn the key on.

So do I need to "program" the O2 sensor with the Innovate software?

I did calibrate the O2 sensor as directed in the Innovate "Quick Start" guide...i.e. unplug sensor and power up, power down...plug sensor in while it floats in open air, power up, then down....screw sensor into exhaust, power up.

I DID NOT calibrate the sensor through TunerStudio.

Suggestions?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

im not sure if it will help but try calibrating the afr table in tuner studio,
its covered in section 2.10.5

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... Up-3.3.pdf

i think the mtx-l uses the same calibration as the innovate lc1.

when you first turn the wideband on after its heated up and without the engine running does it read full lean 22ish afr?
streetrover
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by streetrover »

Yup, after about 30 seconds it reads 22.4 (full lean).
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

and does tuner studio report the same?
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

streetrover wrote:The grounds are grounded to the body ... I checked with a digital ohm meter and there is .000 resistance. The red reads 12v when I turn the key on.

Suggestions?
All grounds need to go to the engine block, anywhere else will cause problems.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.