ignition timing wandering with steady throttle

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

ignition timing wandering with steady throttle

Post by Yves »

I see the ignition moving whereas the throttle is not moving nor the map sensor is.

GM HEI with 8 pin module, 1987-1992 camaro TPI equivalent (MSD)

Am I looking at a problem here ?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ignition timing wandering with steady throttle

Post by elutionsdesign »

That is odd, there is a short area ending at time 815.887 where the timing has steadily dropped to a value of 12 at that point and given where the indicator is in the ignition table the smallest number in the immediate vicinity of the indicator is 15.2. The timing has steadily dropped from 18 at time 814.753 without any constant drop in MAP, only a little noise. There is another spot at 799.75 where the timing drops from 13.8 to 11 as the MAP is climbing and the table would indicate something around 19 would be called for. Guess I'd be inclined to reload or upgrade the firmware.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Take a look at the "knock retard" in that log.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Bill,

I just took a look at my knock settings in tunerstudio and for some reason it was set on "safe mode". I never touched it, So this must have been in there. I do not understand why it would retard the timing, as no knock sensor is attached to MS...The trigger input however stood onn 'low input'.

Can I take this is the reason ?

I set the knockret. on the MLV as well and I can see the spikes for that. What is causing that ?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

well as there is no knock sensor connected the signal is floating and indicating false knock set it to disabled and should be good to go
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

did it and a new run, ignition is stable now.