TBI on v8, need help w/ASE/WUE

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

TBI on v8, need help w/ASE/WUE

Post by pferat »

Running MS2/extra 3.3.1 w/ fuel only control using a GM TBI on my 318 mopar. Idles well (750 rpm, ~18-20 in vacuum, AFR ~13) when warm and drives well after having data logged a few times (although mostly tuning <3000 RPM). My problem is the cold start settings that i can't seem to figure out. I think i've got the crank pulse, ASE and WUE tables all fubar and don't know how to proceed... Do WUE settings add to the ASE settings or do the WUE go into effect after the taper time for ASE? Confused about the ASE taper - are they revolutions or seconds?

Doesn't fire on it's own when cranking unless i give it throttle (does that mean it's too rich?). Once fired up, i need to continue to give it throttle and after a 1/2 min it settles down and idles reasonably well at 1100 RPM with WUE and then idle tapers to a good stable warm idle.

There are so many variables and not sure where to start...
IAC: I've been able to figure out the stepper position for a good idle (haven't touched the butterfly adjustment screw on the TBI) but I have no clue how much more to open the IAC when cold or how to taper it with coolant temp. I would think that how much air i let in must be properly mixed with the fuel being dumped by ASE/WUE.
Crank pulse: I should have a setting that attempts to start, but may stall after, right? I've been pushing higher percentages, but maybe i'm going the wrong way.... I guess i'll try lower values
ASE %, ASE taper and WUE : not sure how these play together and what general values to use. Why can't WUE handle the extra fuel when cold?

Thanks for listening to my rambling and thanks in advance for any advice. It's been a lot of fun.
Patrick
----------------------------
1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible, 318 4 speed, MS2
1964 El Camino, 383 SBC, 5 speed, MicroS
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TBI on v8, need help w/ASE/WUE

Post by slow_hemi6 »

For a compare this is what I use. I don't have a stepper IAC though, just a good old on off type valve. I don't know how great the real cold stuff is as it never gets below about 10C here.
2014-08-22_18.34.46.msq
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

ASE is added on top of WUE during the ASE taper period, then it goes to just WUE. So you'll want to tune the WUE once the ASE time is over, then come back and re-tune ASE.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

Thanks everyone... I ended up going back to the default values and working from there. Starts up on it's own now. Also registered TS so that i can play with the WUE analyzer.
----------------------------
1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible, 318 4 speed, MS2
1964 El Camino, 383 SBC, 5 speed, MicroS