Xflow to Zetec conerversion not working

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Xflow to Zetec conerversion not working

Post by not-a-number »

So I had my xflow running on ITB on a MS2 with direct ignition. Running perfectly after months of playing.

I have now done a 2l Zetec conversion and am using the exact injection setup. The only difference is that instead of my 36-1 trigger on the pulley it is on the flywheel, so using the standard ford setup.

What settings would I need to change? I have set #1 angle BTDC to 60. ( it use to be 80)

Basically I am not really getting any spark. A few here and there and my rpm is saying Im cranking around 120rpm (ive set my crank to 100) but it seems really low. It use to crank at about 400 I think.

Thanks for the help.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Xflow to Zetec conerversion not working

Post by elutionsdesign »

Startup log and composite log of the rpm input would help.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

(ive set my crank to 100)
:shock:
Why so low? Hopefully you are not under the impression that Cranking RPM nneds to match actual....

I wouldn't set that any lower than about 300......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

is your spark out put meant to be set to js10, i would assume if you are not using the edis and driving the coils directly you would have been using the led's???
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

grom_e30 wrote:is your spark out put meant to be set to js10, i would assume if you are not using the edis and driving the coils directly you would have been using the led's???
I will be interested in the answer to that question also.....

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

I had it set to 350 but I saw it cranking at 120 so dropped it to 100 to see if that would help.

I cant give you the exact answer to why js10 is set for output but basically I had big problems with using the led ouputs to drive the BIPs. One was shorted on the pcb itself and had blown the micro.

I sent it to the megasquirt expert in nz and he found it pretty quickly and said it was very unusual but was actually a pcb fault. So he did mods to drive it js10 way.

I had it running for about 4months without changing anything before putting the new engine in. So it was reliable.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

good answer, can you get a tooth log and also a normal data log as well?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

Have attached logs. There is obviously something wrong with the rpm.

Its not cranking consistently and I think that is due to the starter motor. Its new and im not convinced its the correct pinion so there might be some binding going on. Need to fix this first.

If there are some better logs I can do, let me know.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

There is some sync loss but what you said about the starter could cause this, the voltage drop when you crank it is pretty high, and the cranking speed is low maybe try and address that issue and go from there.
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

Its cranking constantly now. Its still only saying its cranking at 120rpm but that doesnt sound right.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ohh the log looks a lot better, i would up the cranking rpm setting to about 300 rpm , also the clt reads 82 deg in both logs is that correct?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

grom_e30 wrote:ohh the log looks a lot better, i would up the cranking rpm setting to about 300 rpm
I agree..... MS immediately jumps from Cranking to Run Mode as soon as cranking begins.....

Ken
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

So ive figured out the cranking problem. I have the wrong pinion gear on there but this wont be properly solved for a few days.

I have set the crank rpm to 300. I am getting spark but its on and off and not enough to make my timing light work (seems to only work when the engine is running :? ). So I cant check my timing to see if im even close.

Im running my first coil on cylinders 1 and 4 and second coil on cylinders 2 and 3.

Crank sensor #1 angle BTDC is set to 60.

Its not even trying to fire. Usually I can get something even being miles out or firing order wrong.
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

Got the starter sorted and have it running. :lol:

A couple of problems;

Its really hard to start. Cranks away for ages before it splutters into life. But once running it idles nice and smooth and low rpm.

Second one is it pulses like crazy around 1200 -1500 rpm. Below or above that its stable. Basically the revs pulse from 0 - 1500 and I am getting hundreds of sync losses.

I have attached a log of the pulsing but not startup.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

You are getting a tremendous amount of lost sync around the 1200rpm mark. Please take a attach composite logs and tooth logs.

Have you checked your timing while running? Do.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

jsmcortina wrote:You are getting a tremendous amount of lost sync around the 1200rpm mark. Please take a attach composite logs and tooth logs.

Have you checked your timing while running? Do.

James

Still had starter motor problems which took a bit of work to solve. Im using a retro fitted genuine starter for that engine so its working as it should now.

Still having massive sync loss around 1000-1500 rpm. Its either at that rpm or maybe the fact its at low throttle? If you give it heaps and get it through that rpm its also fine.
Ive never had a problem like this before. When I was getting sync loss it was all over the rev range.

I have attached tooth logs for when at idle and also loosing sync. Also a datalog from startup, idle then sync loss.
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

Heres the current tune.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

There's a defective tooth pattern that will cause sync loss there for sure.
syncloss.png
James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

looked like when I had the polarity reversed on my VR sensor. I too am using the flywheel toothed wheel on my Zetec.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
not-a-number
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by not-a-number »

jsmcortina wrote:There's a defective tooth pattern that will cause sync loss there for sure.
syncloss.png
James
I didn't notice that one going high. After and before the missing tooth there is always a slightly high one. Is this normal?

Also when its loosing sync the amplitude starts to drop.

I will switch my vr polarity. Could this do it?