Am I missing something in my tune?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tonypaul
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Am I missing something in my tune?

Post by tonypaul »

I have been running a Microsquirt v2.5.06 for almost 2 years on my stock 5.3 LS (58x) on gasoline and it hasn't missed a beat, running extremely well. I just added a different throttlebody, ZO6 cam, lifters, 80lb injectors, 76mm turbo, 3 bar map/ e85 fuel pump. Everything is brand new except the cam and throttlebody. I took my orginal tune changed the injector info and cloned the ignition/ve tables from other known good/similar e85 LS/turbo setups.

The motor will fire up but wont idle and will only stay running if I rev the rpms up and and let off quickly and rev up again and only above 2000rpm.. If I try to hold the rpms it will die at any rpms. I have been told that the injector data is correct. When the motor is running it sounds good/strong, revs good. No stuttering/popping/ect, and the A/F is pretty decent, doesn't seem to be going overly lean or rich.

I cant find the fitting for my fuel pressure gauge so I havnt been able to check the fuel pressure, buts a new pump on a return truck rail/intake.

Other issues- before I swapped all this stuff I knew the alternator was going out. Today I had the alternator tested and it was only putting out 10amps. Put on another I had laying around, but when the motor is running/reving the most its putting out is 12 volts.

I thought my problem was a bad TPS, I put another on and no change. Since I had the car running on the Microsquirt I have had the Idle control valve blocked off and never had any trouble with it running properly.

I have looked over everything I know to look over, I hoping its something in my tune that I missed. But I feel my problem is somewhere outside the tune. I cant seem to get the engine running long enough to log but will try soon.

Please look over my tune and see if something is out of wack.
Thanks in advance~
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Am I missing something in my tune?

Post by elutionsdesign »

Need a datalog too!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

1. why using 4 squirts per engine cycle?
2. your injector deadtime seems high. 1.300ms
3. why are you needing map sampling? rather than map averaging?
4. why are your input lags set in the 50's 60's.. rather than the 90's or 100.
5. you have your soft rev limit at 6300 rpm and your hard limit at 7000... if that works like the rev limiter in the ms3 then the engine starts soft rev limiting at 700 rpm... if you want the rev limit to work at 6300 then the soft limit should be 700 rpm. not 6300...
Good luck.. change the rev limit and your engine will try to run...
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Jay_D79
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jay_D79 »

I fought with the rev limiter thing for a little while before figuring that part out.. The soft limit number is the amount of rpm before the hard limit where the soft limit starts to apply.. a "window" of sorts before the hard limit.. I keep mine about a 400rpm window.. (6000hard, 400soft which makes it start to limit at 5600)
86 Monte SS. 454. aluminum marine heads, roller cam etc. no boost... yet.. MS2 3.57
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Jay_D79 wrote:I fought with the rev limiter thing for a little while before figuring that part out.. The soft limit number is the amount of rpm before the hard limit where the soft limit starts to apply.. a "window" of sorts before the hard limit.. I keep mine about a 400rpm window.. (6000hard, 400soft which makes it start to limit at 5600)
Not the way it works! There is no "window" before the "hard Limit" nor does rev limiting begin at the "soft limit" value!

Once the "hard limit" value is reached, rev limiting (whichever method you have invoked) will remain in effect until the rpm has dropped below the "soft limit" value.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

According to tuner studio, the soft limit zone/hysteresis (rpm)- sets an RPM dead band, soft limiters start this many RPM below the Hard limit. If full fuel cut is reached the RPM's must fall by this much before fuel is re enabled. A number of hundred RPM is suggested.
In this example a 7000 hard limit with a 6300 soft limit would enable rev limiting at 700 rpm, by dropping spark, retarding timing, or pulling fuel etc.

my tune has the hard limit at 6700 and the softlimit of 200 rpm. when I hit the hard limit the engine must drop back to 6500 before fueling returns, if I have progressive fueling turned on then it starts limiting at 6500 dropping fuel until it hits 6700 when it cuts fuel completely because of the hard limit.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

That may be true for your MS3, but the OP is running an MS2 on 3.2.4 Extra code.

I stand by my statement.......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I thought they used the same rev limiting on the ms 2 and ms3..... my bad...
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I'll forgive you if you give me your Hilborn!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken
Jay_D79
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jay_D79 »

kjones6039 wrote:
Jay_D79 wrote:I fought with the rev limiter thing for a little while before figuring that part out.. The soft limit number is the amount of rpm before the hard limit where the soft limit starts to apply.. a "window" of sorts before the hard limit.. I keep mine about a 400rpm window.. (6000hard, 400soft which makes it start to limit at 5600)
Not the way it works! There is no "window" before the "hard Limit" nor does rev limiting begin at the "soft limit" value!

Once the "hard limit" value is reached, rev limiting (whichever method you have invoked) will remain in effect until the rpm has dropped below the "soft limit" value.

Ken
I'm not sure how much I had to drink when I wrote that..
I must've confused it with the MSD box the way it progressively cuts spark a little before the hard set limit (digital 6).. My fuel cut is 6000 and it starts fueling again at 5600..
86 Monte SS. 454. aluminum marine heads, roller cam etc. no boost... yet.. MS2 3.57
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Jay_D79 wrote:I'm not sure how much I had to drink when I wrote that..
I have learned that something to drink is often helpful, and occasionally required when dealing with EFI!!! Not to worry! Relax! Pop the top on a cool one! :lol: :lol:

Ken