Post by TJM »

Thank You Rick,

Experiences are scant.

TJM
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: E85 Target AFR's

Post by TJM »

MWPau wrote:I just loaded a normal petrol/gas tune, used the req fuel calculator with normal values, and started it :)
Crank & WUE was enough to get it going, and amazingly keep it idling (closed-loop) with no issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcjQJBM20o
Im guessing i was just really lucky it was that easy though.
Thanks for the input, Sorry to respond so late.. All over the US Midwest on protects... pesky business... interferes with car tinkering!!!

I think your package was more forgiving....!!! We tried a basic Gas set up.. ZIP..... tinkered up wards.... Still nothing... .. Killing batteries!!

We know from Carburetor experience a LOT more fuel is needed, but E85 is a double edged sword.... flood the motor one time to many and you risk washing the rings!!!! Not anxious to yank a motor to do a ring job... best case in flooding with E85 is ruining 7 qts of Joe Gibbs oil..[@ $9.00 a liter!!] .

Went to DIY for their " get together ' .. and heard a much more conservative interpretations of what Rick said.

The DIY formula made the motor "Want" to run.. but it only spun and died... We ran out of time.. and will try Rick's formula today.... seems the right info???

If no success we "give".. open the wallet send it to an experienced tuner. Tried throwing money at DIY .. [ they are 3 miles up the road] but I guess they are full up... no response.

TJM
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

The more fuel I give it during cranking the better it starts, it seems. It is getting colder here so I'll be tuning it further but so far I've got it so it will turn over for a few seconds and then fire up. Watch your fuel pressure on startup, too as I was originally having trouble with my pump being rather lazy before I rewired it directly off the battery through a secondary relay and I wasn't getting full pressure until it the engine started. My particular injectors seem to have an awful spray pattern and flow at lower pressures.

The leaner I get the engine the hotter it runs; the caveat here is I have not tuned my ignition advance at this point. This will be helpful in colder weather...

I am hooking up my flex fuel sensor this coming weekend and I will start tuning with that just so I can stop testing my damned fuel every time I fill up and scaling the table.

Worst case you can throw a top-lube product in your fuel to keep your rings safe while you figure it out.
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TJM »

Rick Finsta wrote:The more fuel I give it during cranking the better it starts, it seems. It is getting colder here so I'll be tuning it further but so far I've got it so it will turn over for a few seconds and then fire up. Watch your fuel pressure on startup, too as I was originally having trouble with my pump being rather lazy before I rewired it directly off the battery through a secondary relay and I wasn't getting full pressure until it the engine started. My particular injectors seem to have an awful spray pattern and flow at lower pressures.

The leaner I get the engine the hotter it runs; the caveat here is I have not tuned my ignition advance at this point. This will be helpful in colder weather...

I am hooking up my flex fuel sensor this coming weekend and I will start tuning with that just so I can stop testing my damned fuel every time I fill up and scaling the table.

Worst case you can throw a top-lube product in your fuel to keep your rings safe while you figure it out.

Well It ran!!!! Not great and needs some work. Sadly a new rear main seal is need. Puking oil. Think we flooded and the Alcohol lit off in the crankcase... Likely blew the lip back on the seal... We use Marvel Mystery Oil... no special reason.. somebody at the track suggested it when we were running with the CARB.

The surprise is we lost fuel pressure fuel at 3000 rpm.. Walbro 255 liter won't do it?

Bought a Walbro 450 yesterday may need to 255 for a second pump?? I think I reasd somewhere where the MEGA Squirt will do that??

Timing is all over the place though?? jumping 10 degrees?? [a new 4 pin DUI HEI.. ]

Another THREAD I guess??
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Can I ask a question ?

Our fuels have about 5% ethanol in them. Does that require a different AFR ? And if so, by how much ?
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

TJM you could stage fuel pumps with one of the generic on/off outputs. SERIOUSLY doubt that 255 will be enough for you, as for my mill I did the math and would have been okay on gasoline with one, but not E85. A lot of budget guys run two 255s but I'd prefer to step up to a larger single pump myself (I run a Fuelab 41401 using PWM speed control).

If your timing is jumping I'd suspect something like lost sync. If you can post a composite log and datalog (start a new thread) we can help you out. EDIT: Now that I think of it a RESET can kill a fuel pump and drop pressure so seeing a log would be invaluable.

Yves, the 5% isn't going to make a huge difference either way as long as it is consistent, and even then unless you're running on the raged edge you'll be fine. With E85 since you're talking 25%+ more fuel we need to make sure the req_fuel is squared away but the percent or two difference in stoich going to 5% ethanol is not going to be a problem for you.
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TJM »

Thanks Rick, rude of me not to stay tuned, but been in Texas on a project.

I took the collective wisdom... bout the new Walbro 450 LPH E85 model.. we'll see how that works out!

TJM
TJM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TJM »

Thanks Rick, rude of me not to stay tuned, but been in Texas on a project.

I took the collective wisdom... bout the new Walbro 450 LPH E85 model.. we'll see how that works out!

TJM
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i have noticed with e85 lower compression ratios don't like to start when cold. initially my race car had 8:1 scr, now way in hell it would start below 60*f without ether and was hard to start cold on a summer day. when i redid the engine i made it 9.7 scr it starts much better. i have started it at 20*f before no ether but was difficult.

later on i found a chart somewhere about minimun compression ratio vs temp to get combustion on e85 but can't find it now
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I'm at 11.5:1 and mine starts okay in colder weather, but I'm giving it like 450% cranking PW at 50*F and it looks like I'm zeroing in on 800%+ at 20*F.