VE values too low

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Red_bull
Helpful MS/Extra'er

VE values too low

Post by Red_bull »

Hello guys,

I was wondering what could cause a whole VE table to be too low. I don't have my laptop close to me so i can't upload by tune or show my VE table, but with boost (130) i am still around a VE of 80 or something. I double checked my injector settings, but i can't find anything wrong. Car also doesn't feel really slow or something, so engine flow seems to be fine

I have checked: Fuel calculation in MS (Engine size is correct, Injector Flow is correct, Fuel pressure on rail for this flow is correct); I checked injector deadtime it is set to 0.8ms and in the uppersize of the VE this shouldn't matter as much.

Where can my mistake be?

I am running Lucas MJY10023 injectors and have used the setting of 380cc/min
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VE values too low

Post by grom_e30 »

what ecu? i dead time tested those injectors on my ms3 with ms3x and found them to be pretty quick injectors, 0.5 dead time if i remember correctly. il confirm later
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Red_bull
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Red_bull »

Sorry completly forgot i am running a Megasquirt 2! Yea i am still planning to figure out the dead time exactly but till now i am running a standard setting.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

The VE is relative to your required fuel setting, if you want the VE table higher lower the required fuel. As long as your tune is meeting your requirements I would not worry.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

update I measured and got 0.416 @ 13.2v when i tested mine using the ms3x drivers.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Further to elutiondesign's comment, if you have Multiply MAP and Incorporate AFR turned on, a VE in the 80s past peak torque is not unreasonable. By the same token, with both of those turned off it's REALLY easy for a boosted engine to bounce off the max 255 value.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Red_bull
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Red_bull »

I knew it's relative, but i expected a value above 100 to 140 or something under boost. I will check the manual because i am pretty sure i have multiply map and incorporate AFR turned on yea. So will look into that why 80 is reasonable then. Thanks for the help!
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

Hey If you could load the tune and a datalog.... that would be helpful.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Red_bull
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Red_bull »

Still haven't been able to get to my laptop with the tune on it. Probably coming weekend