AE - RPM Based or MAP Based?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

AE - RPM Based or MAP Based?

Post by Michael »

I have a question about Acceleration Enrichment (AE).

MS1 v3 board
Ford Zetec 2 litre
Bog standard apart from removed EGR and Pulse air.
Standard NB EGO sensor

My MS install has been running well for over a week now and I’m very happy with it. It runs very smoothly, accelerates well. I’ve spent many happy hours tweaking the VE table and got to thinking that perhaps I should look into AE. I was surprised to find that when I opened the RPM based acceleration dialog box that RPM Based Accel was turned on. It must have been this way from the base tune that I used from DIY Autotune. I understood from the help file and from the manual that RPM based was only for highly tuned engines and that for ordinary everyday drivers like mine, MAP based was preferable.
I turned off RPM Based and the engine ran terribly, would barely idle and refused to accelerate without big foot fulls of throttle.
I turned RPM based back on and all was as smooth as ever.
Have I missed a trick here? Should I be persevering with MAP based and maing adjustments there? I suspect that as I’m happy with the way it goes, the answer is, “If it ain’t broke – don’t fix it!”

If anyone does look at the attached log files, the O2 readings are very low, I think the sensor might be faulty – I have another one I will fit shortly. However, once driving on the open road the O2 gauge sits nicely on 14.7 most of the time. Maybe a faulty heater, and the sensor not getting hot enough at idle speeds. I know its only a NB, but funds won’t stretch to a WB

Thanks - Michael
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AE - RPM Based or MAP Based?

Post by Matt Cramer »

If it works, it works. While it was believed to only be useful for aggressively cammed engines when introduced, it's proven to be useful in other applications since.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: AE - RPM Based or MAP Based?

Post by Michael »

Thanks - I'll leave it as is. - Michael