Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Coil Near Plug testing D585

Post by mr_minnis »

I am testing my d585 coils with this Thexton tester:
http://www.handsontools.com/Thexton-458 ... _6829.html

I was wondering what the "good" KV output should be for the D585 coil. Most of my did 30 some did 35 and a couple did 40.
This tester is sort of a pain. It really needs to be in the air and no where near metal. The Jumper wire should be a little longer.

Another noob question. What are you running you plug gaps at? this would be installing these coils on a naturally aspirated engine that was originally a single coil motor. Back in the day when you had a hotter coil you widened you plug gap.
Same as stock
wider than stock
narrower than stock
same as the motor than the coils came from.
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Coil Near Plug testing D585

Post by grom_e30 »

as to the testing the coils iv never done that just got a used set and connected them to my ms3 and ran them, i used the stock plugs at the stock gap and been great so far 15k miles covered my car had a single coil and dizzy as stock n/a inline 6 bmw engine.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

The d585 coil is amazing. Just be sure to keep the coil dwell time at or under 3.8ms as any more and th coil can discharge early causing advanced timing

I'm running mine on a 2j at 30lbs of boost with an iridium plug with a .031 gap with zero issues

I'd run what ever the lq9 motor ran for a plug gap on an NA engine and not look back
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

thanks for the information. I may re-gap my plugs and see what happens

I got the coils 7 months ago and have been running them. I'm trying to troubleshoot a poor MPG issue. It's either the tune or hardware.(isn't it always)

several months ago I took the car on a 6 hour drive going 75-80 MPH I got about 23 MPG. 88 ford mustang convertible, stock 302, 5 speed, 3.73 gears. I was satisfied with that. Now i am doing good to get 16.

The bad part is I have done quite a bit of changes to the tune and wiring (I redid my power and ground wiring, used larger wiring and better splicing).

I took my injectors in and had them cleaned and serviced, they guy said they were fine but now they are better (all flow exactly the same).

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the tune (specifically Acceleration Enrichment). I just wanted to check out all my hardware first. I have disabled AE and am testing out the engine
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I run with very little AE and have the afr/ve table tuned setup well in those transition area. Have you looked for header leaks or cracks anywhere?
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

nathaninwa wrote:I run with very little AE and have the afr/ve table tuned setup well in those transition area. Have you looked for header leaks or cracks anywhere?

Yea, no leaks. Last week I had my mufflers replaced. I went from Flowmaster 2 chamber to Dyno-max Ultra flow. Ask the guy putting them on to check for leaks at the header to x pipe connection. Since the mid pipe to tail pipe connection would be checked by the muffler installation.

Based on the VEAL driving around I have done with AE turned off I think I was was sending way to much fuel. With AE turned off, From what my son has said (he runs the laptop) when I hit the gas the arf goes up to about 1 afr point for a second and then goes back to what the cruise afr is. I don't have any logs because I wanted to start a different thread about AE tuning after VE was re dialed in.

I found some information that the coils should do 30 to 35 Kv on my tester. I am going to retest and take notes on how mine do. Afterwards I may purchase a couple of replacements and swap the lowest of the bunch.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Something I don't know for sure. But will less dwell time vs more dwell time produce different amounts of voltage?

I'm running the dwell table and didn't notice any fuel mileage difference going from a steady 3.8ms to a table that has like 2.2ms at cruise and 3.8 under boost

If there is a problem, there is a thread over on supra forum that describes lq9 knock off coils. Shows pictures of differences in the epoxy used to fill around the head sink area
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

nathaninwa wrote:Something I don't know for sure. But will less dwell time vs more dwell time produce different amounts of voltage?

I'm running the dwell table and didn't notice any fuel mileage difference going from a steady 3.8ms to a table that has like 2.2ms at cruise and 3.8 under boost

If there is a problem, there is a thread over on supra forum that describes lq9 knock off coils. Shows pictures of differences in the epoxy used to fill around the head sink area
I appreciate that. I've googled around before posting here and it there is some good information on Supra and RX7/8 forums about these coils. I'm sure the ones I have are OEM because they came mounted on a bracket with the wiring (they were used). On the dwell thing that is a good question. I set my battery dwell correction based on some information I found and then found some other values so I averaged them out.

I'm going to mess with shadow dash and see if I can log my fuel mileage. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate heck 85% would at least give me an idea. Filling up the car, driving and refilling up gets old pretty quick.I found some older posts on here that said what formulas to put in megal-og viewer
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Do you have a vss hooked up? TS will show average and instant fuel economy

And I wasn't referencing the battery dwell chart, there is an actual 8x8 dwell table based on load and rpm
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

[quote="nathaninwa"]Do you have a vss hooked up? TS will show average and instant fuel economy

And I wasn't referencing the battery dwell chart, there is an actual 8x8 dwell table based on load and rpm[/quote

I don't have a vss sensor at this time. I had a Vr conditioner but I shorted it, using the GPS on my tablet seems to do ok, since i figured out how to set up MLV to read fuel economy. reviewing the logs it looks the average is 25. That's is what i would expect

I know you where talking about the table, I was speaking battery correction.

I re-tested all my coils setting the Kv to 35 and using some Di-electric grease in the plug wire ends. All of them passed with no issues. I think part of the issue with the first test was it was easier for the spark to leak and ground out than just the huge gap.