MAP Based AE Advice

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

psucrash
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MAP Based AE Advice

Post by psucrash »

Running MS2/extra serial325
I have an issue with MAP based AE decel kicking in when I don't want it to. Specifically when I'm in boost. The MAP signal is a little noisy but nothing too severe. I have the threshold set to 125 kpa/s at the moment even though that's higher than I'd like it to be. I set it this was to try and avoid any unwanted accel/decel in boost. Accel kicks in as expected although it could use some work, but decel kicks in at a much lower MAPdot than I would expect causing lean spikes in boost, no good. I'm not sure why this is.
I thought there was a setting to turn off AE/DE in boost but I can't seem to find it now.
Some advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

2014-09-28_AE_Tweaks.msq
Edit: Datalog attached in post #3
Last edited by psucrash on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
'86 Mitsubishi Starion MS2extra v3.0 3.2.5. 363WHP/418TQ Built not bought
400WHP+ runs to come!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MAP Based AE Advice

Post by kjones6039 »

Unfortunately MediaFire is blocking the download of your msl file. Can you just ZIP it and post it up here?

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
psucrash
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by psucrash »

You got it
2014-09-27_21-17-23.zip
400WHP+ runs to come!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I may not be able to help much with your boosted application, but a brief look at your log and msq bring several questions to mind.

Your AE signal doesn't seem to be noisy at all! I am also wondering why you are running 100% MAP AE.... I don't see that a lot. In my case (NA application) I don't use MAP based AE at all and it works quite well using 100% TPS.
I am actually not seeing very many AE events over the course of the log. Perhaps you may want to bump the MAPdot Threshold setting up just a bit (currently at 125).

What's with your TPS? It ranges from 0 to -33! That's not going to work! Have you attempted to calibrate it?

I see a lot of voltage spikes ranging from 6.5 v all the way to 21.9 v. Not good! Makes me concerned that you may have grounding/supply issues!

One of my biggest concerns is why your pw drops to zero several times (toward the end of the log) for no apparent reason that I can see. :shock:

Just a few things I noted. I will try to spend more time on it this evening. Better yet, maybe one of the guru's will stop by and offer a more qualified opinion.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
psucrash
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by psucrash »

I didn't even notice the voltage spikes. Good call there. I'll look into it. I have a dedicated power line straight from the battery to MS being switched by the main relay. I wonder it those spikes are somehow inductive kick-back from the coil pack or FP or ??

I don't use the TPS because for some reason I have to calibrate it every time I turn on the car or it has funky readings like you see in this log. So I have just been using MAP based for a while now. TPS sweeps clean but something is up there.

I have watched the MAPdot under steady state driving a lot and had the threshold set at 50 since that seemed more than enough to eliminate false triggering. I only increased that value when I noticed AE/DE while under boost.

I believe the PW dropping to zero is the overrun fuel cut coming on.

At 892.7 and 896.0 seconds in the log you can see some strange AE events
At 905.5 there is a dip in PW and AFR increase that I can't explain other than the Batt V increases a bit there.
400WHP+ runs to come!
psucrash
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by psucrash »

Anyone else want to chime in?

I agree that the voltage spikes are my biggest concern right now. I would put my $$ on a less than ideal ground. That likely explains the TPS readings too. IIRC that is not grounded at MS. Looks like I have a little wiring upgrade project to do.
For what it's worth, the car runs great and pulls strong :)
400WHP+ runs to come!