AE questions

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

AE questions

Post by pferat »

MS Extra 3.3.2. Fuel-only control small block Mopar with chevy TBI.

I've been successful tuning my VE table by using targetAFR, VEAL and MLV. I now want to play around with the AE, even though my motor doesn't seem to really need it. [By that i mean that i'm not experiencing any major lean spot when accelerating. My datalog shows that i'm slightly lean but not so much so that I have a lean bog]. I want to understand how to tune AE since i'll be 'squirting my other (more powerful) motors in the future.

So far i've been just playing with time-based AE with TPS (100%). I understand the concepts of TPSdot and the general settings in that section except that the TPS Based AE curve y-axis says 'Added ms' which to me indicates increasing the PW, yet the documentation says it's a percentage of ReqFuel. Which one is it?

What completely baffles me is the meaning of the TPS WOT table. The help button in TS doesn't clarify it for me and the pdf documentation uses exactly the same wording. Can anyone provide some concrete examples of what this table does?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Patrick
----------------------------
1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible, 318 4 speed, MS2
1964 El Camino, 383 SBC, 5 speed, MicroS
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AE questions

Post by Matt Cramer »

For MS2, it's an added time specified in milliseconds directly.

For MS3, it's a percentage of Required Fuel.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

Thanks Matt!
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of the TPS WOT table and how i tune?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's basically the point at which opening the throttle more doesn't let in any more air. If you have it enabled, TPSdot is determined relative to this table instead of relative to fully open.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Matt, can you give us an example of what a curve might look like for WOT% for something like a NA 4cyl, a NA V8, and a turbo 4cyl? I understand that every car is going to be a little different, but I don't really have a baseline for what is "correct." Otherwise, perhaps you could quickly walk us through a methodical way of tuning this? I've ended up just leaving it alone (using the default values) as I have progressive linkage on my 4150-style throttle body, but I would love to get it dialed in. Other than at the track my car rarely gets more than about 40% throttle opening so I assume I could use this to really crispen throttle response (not that it matters since I am under stall speed at cruise).

If nothing else I'd like to know as an intellectual endeavor.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Rick Finsta wrote:Matt, can you give us an example of what a curve might look like for WOT% for something like a NA 4cyl, a NA V8, and a turbo 4cyl? I understand that every car is going to be a little different, but I don't really have a baseline for what is "correct." Otherwise, perhaps you could quickly walk us through a methodical way of tuning this? I've ended up just leaving it alone (using the default values) as I have progressive linkage on my 4150-style throttle body, but I would love to get it dialed in. Other than at the track my car rarely gets more than about 40% throttle opening so I assume I could use this to really crispen throttle response (not that it matters since I am under stall speed at cruise).

If nothing else I'd like to know as an intellectual endeavor.
It depends on how big the throttle body is for the engine. Best way to find it is with a TunerStudio scatter plot. You'll put RPM on the X axis and TPS on the Y axis, and go with where the MAP reading hits atmospheric. For a turbo motor, it would be easier if you logged the pressure upstream of the MAP and used a math function to get the difference, and used the point of zero pressure drop. At least, if you really wanted to be sure it was pinned down.