engine constance ms1

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: engine constance ms1

Post by racerron »

elutionsdesign wrote:Drop your controller step size down to 1% in the EGO control, that will solve the surging or at least a lot of it. Appears you need help with your rpm, 267100 seems a bit higher than that motor can spin.
I'm not sure where that 260000 rpm came from :?: .I will change the step to 1%. I have learned so much from you guys.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I hate to be redundant, but it would be more helpful if you could post your msq & log here.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

kjones6039 wrote:I hate to be redundant, but it would be more helpful if you could post your msq & log here.

Ken
before I went to work this morning I tried to post the file but I'm kind of computer illiterate and the other guy told me how to do it but I'm still not getting it on the site I named the file and when I posted all it is is just a simple picture of it.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Up the top there is a link called Forum help page. It is a walk through of everything about the forum and posting. Plenty of pictures to go with the steps and all that. You should have been directed there initially. Here is also a link to it. http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/forum_posting.html
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

my msq. i did it.
Last edited by racerron on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

another msq
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

these are my MSQ. Right. or what is MSQ stand for.
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

Those are msl or logs, a msq is your tune. Look at the top of the forum or next to where you submit your posts and there is directions on how to pay it.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

First thing that jumps out is your are getting communications dropping out and you also have a few RESETS. Lots of things that could be going on and we're just guessing until we see that tune file (called "CurrentTune" in your My Documents/Tuner Studio Projects folder, in the subfolder for your project).

.msq is the file extenstion for a tune file - those files you posted are .msl extensions which are for MegaLogViewer. We need to see those too, we're just lacking the tune file. Think of it this way - the log is what the engine did and the tune file is how the computer told the engine to behave which resulted in the log. WE need to see both to know how the two are related.
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

current tune
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

racerron wrote:the flaking on the bearings is from the motor leaning out I put a new set of bearings in the motor.
Not likely, in my meager experience! If the engine is making metal, I would be looking for something much more serious than a lean mixture! IMHO, all the tuning in the world is not going to prevent "flaking" of the bearings (as you put it)!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

racerron wrote:current tune
Just curious here..... I am not an MS1 kind of guy, so I am wondering why you are running table switching?

Ken
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

one table for e85 and one for race gas
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

racerron wrote:one table for e85 and one for race gas
Understood.... TY

Ken
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

after looking at the VE table with its sloping up so steeply and all the other information on my current tune.anybody out there think that my injectors are not big enough or the fuel pump not keeping up?
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

if im using a msd box and using the tach terminal to trigger the mega squirt. why would be concerned about dwell settings (fixed dwell control, spark output duty cycle 50%). while driving and using the tune analyze live how often do you tap the apply button? do you have to touch the (save to ecu)?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It is not possible to run a msd from a MS ecu in Msns mode and also trigger the MS with the msd's tach out. You need to have a hierarchy of Input Trigger > MS > MSD. You cant have MSD > MS > MSD. The MS in Msns mode must recieve a trigger that has a fixed relationship to the crank so it can calculate timing. The MSD is being controled by the MS so it fires at a time that MS calculates to be the amount of degrees required by the spark map. This is obviously variable and not fixed in relationship to the crank so how could a tach pulse generated by the MSD be a suitable reference for Msns.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I took it to mean the tach terminal on his distributor is feeding the MS but that hadn't occurred to me he could be pulling signal from the MSD box until you mentioned it.

racerron could you tell us specifically where your tach input is from, and if you are using any kind of coil output to drive the MSD box, or if you are just giving the MSD box a tach signal from the distributor as well and then letting it do its thing? I saw the spark tables in your tune and got it in my head that you were controlling spark with the MS by feeding that output to the MSD box.

It occurs to me that you might be able to run the distributor signal to the purple/green connector on the MSD 7531, then the gray wire out of the MSD to the MS so long as that is an unmodified tach trigger. The instructions say it is a 12V square wave signal so I'm guessing they use a VR conditioner in the MSD box and then that output would be the same as a hall sensor to the MS? You might want to ask MSD tech support if the timing of the tach signal is the same coming out of the 7531 as it was going in.
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

im using the male (spade terminal)on the msd. I don't use the spark tables on the ms. my dis. is a early 80 mustang (ford dura spark) i think its a variable reluctor magnet and a pick up coil. i know the tuner studio has the wrong timing reading on the gauge cluster but matt crammer said pay no attention to that. the msd is also triggered from the dis to the tach terminal on the msd.not sure how thats working (two wires from the dis down to one to the tach terminal.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

If there are two signal wires coming out of the distributor you should probably be using the purple/green input for a VR sensor like what the MSD bro-billet units use.

Looking up a wiring diagram from MSD for the Ford Duraspark they show connecting the purple wire coming out of the distributor to the green wire into the MSD and the orange wire coming out of the distributor to the purple wire going into the MSD. They say the black wire is not used but you should check and make sure that isn't a ground that still needs to be connected.

Then there shouldn't be issues with using the tach output (either the spade terminal or the gray wire) from the 7531 box to run what is basically a Hall input into the MS (12V square wave).