Dwell and max spark duration

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

FLG
MS/Extra Newbie

Dwell and max spark duration

Post by FLG »

I've read the manuals and a ton of posts and I'm still a bit confused.

I have the ign6 coil from diy, which according to the dwell calc should be at 2.7.

But what do I put for max duration? This is for a turbo e30, inline 6 with a Rev limit of 6600 rpm

Thank you for the help.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Dwell and max spark duration

Post by slow_hemi6 »

When I used a MSD blaster 3 coil they published the spark duration time for the coil. It was 350uS so that is what I used.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
FLG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FLG »

That's where I'm confused.

From the diy site the coil specs say "reference dwell 3.4ms" and "arc duration 2.8ms" but if you use the dwell calc with the coil specs you get 2.7ms

Am I being stupid and this Is as simple as setting the dwell to 3.4 and duration to 2.8?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

How many coils are you using? Will be tough to use this coil if you have single coil and dissy.
Cheers Luke
FLG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by FLG »

It's wasted spark setup. No dizzy.

I've had the car running for years. First stock coil and dizzy with ms1 then wasted spark with msd coils. Now I'm ms2 with the ign6 coil and I just want to get the settings correct.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

So you have 1 of these running as pairs in wasted spark.
Rev limit of 6600 on a 6 cyl with wasted spark gives you around about 9mS between firing events on a particular coil in the pack. Diy site says they will charge with 3.4mS and 2.8mS for discharge. So that's 6.2mS total @ 3.4 dwell. At that point you are running at about 38% dc based only on the charge time (when the coil is drawing current).
If Spark dwell + Spark duration(discharge) is less than the available time due to engine speed the code reduces both dwell and duration to try and fit the whole event within the time available. It was at one point that duration was fixed and only dwell was reduced. This was how it was when I was running single coil. But that strategy changed somewhere in 2012.
However with 9mS available to you at your limit, the code will not be reducing either your dwell or spark duration.
Provided you ignition drivers stay at a reasonable temperature you should be good to go.
Cheers Luke