What would make it overly rich?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: What would make it overly rich?

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I have not owned an engine that likes to idle at 14.7:1. That's too lean for anything I own. Pretty silly to target an AFR the engine hates.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

thats just a number in the target afr table, its not the target the ecu uses for the mixture control. my point is setting the whole table to a sensible number 14.7 say then tune the ve table, then in the future once the ve table is tuned and a wideband is installed if you want to make the idle area richer just edit the afr target table 14.7-13.5 will make it richer without having to re tune the ve table again.

for example PW = DT + (ReqFuel * MAP * Stoich/AFRtarget * VE[RPM,MAP] * AirDen * BaroCor * corrections)

14.7/14.7= 1 (target table at 14.7)
or
14.7/25= 0.58 (target table set to 25)
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

That sounds like a good plan as I will be going wideband in short order. Tomorrow I'll set the AFR table back to 14.7 and then work with the VE table.

It looks like you can globally increase or decrease the values across the whole VE table? What would I use to drop them all by, let's say, 30% ?

My thinking is that hopefully the range of the table is not bad but the generic pre-populated numbers are just way too huge for my little engine (125cc)

This is still based on my assumption that the VE table is what is making it so rich...
Thanks you;
Ernie
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

iv got a test for you to try..... leave afr target set to on. then set whole table to 14.7 then leave it there.... then open the vetable1 then hit the * and input 0.58, this will rescale the table by 0.58 basically what you would be doing by putting 25 in all boxes of the afr target table.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

I think that may be too low. I did find that the idle cells were around 90 and changing them to 50 got me way closer. This is why I was thinking a 30% drop across the board, while keeping the default calibration, might be a good thing to try.

This brings a question to mind though, what if I did that (.58) and it's way too lean? How would I know? How can I determine what the actual AFR is if I do that? What are the chances I could inadvertently melt the piston?

It's 2:35 AM here so this will have to wait a few hours but I will do it :o
Thanks you;
Ernie
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

was 90ve you found 50ve worked better at idle

90 * 0.55 = 49.5

try 30% to be safe may well be on the rich side but a starting point for you.