Error Code 38/39 occurring after warmup

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JFielding13
MS/Extra Newbie

Error Code 38/39 occurring after warmup

Post by JFielding13 »

I have run into an unusual problem in my install. The car starts, idles in closed loop, warms up just fine but as soon as it goes from its warm up cycle to normal run cycle (at about 160 deg F) it throws an error 38/39. Once warm it will continue to have this error. I have been checking and rechecking all of the settings, wiring connections, etc while pouring over the install guides, instructions and forums. Since it is reusing all the stock wiring (no problems with the stock ecu beforehand to indicate a problem) I suspect I simply do not have the software setup properly or maybe it is noise in the wires. I may check spark plugs and may replace the sparkplug wires since they are getting a bit old and may play with the filtering a bit.

I thought I had just messed up the tune after tweaking things in tuner studio over a week getting familiar with different settings and such so I decided to start fresh and reloaded the start up map for the 1996-97 Miata from the DIYautotune website.

I have a DIYPNP running newest firmware in a 1996 Mazda Miata (with an engine from a 1994, checked the install guide and it appears to be the same), stock wiring harness, Innovate LC-2 o2 sensor. Only real modification to the engine is removing the EGR valve (the intake, exhaust, fuel and ignition system is the original 1996 simply bolted onto the 94 long block).

I have attached a datalog showing the warm up then the error occurring. The car was already somewhat warm but between looking up information and taking and checking datalogs it had cooled down. I have also attached the current tune settings and an ignition log starting from cranking to running.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Error Code 38/39 occurring after warmup

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm afraid the composite log doesn't capture the sync loss - can you get it with the composite logger? That will give me more to go on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X