Trigger sensor connection on Yamaha RZ350/Banshee

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sweet_baby_james
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Trigger sensor connection on Yamaha RZ350/Banshee

Post by sweet_baby_james »

I am about to start installation of an EFI setup onto my 85 RZ350. I am pretty comfortable with most of the steps (I am just using it for fuel control, not ignition at this point). However, I am getting stuck on how to wire up the pickup from the stock ignition system to the Microsquirt. I am using the stock CDI ignition that has two lobes on the flywheel and one pickup sensor. I an article http://www.smcomp.com/~smurph/RZ-EFI/install.html that uses an HEI module to make the stock sensor work, but this was not with the Microsquirt ECU, so im not sure if this is required.

If anyone has done this with their RZ350 or Banshee I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

James
EFI and Turbo Yamaha RZ350
Microsquirt with MSExtra 3.3.2
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Trigger sensor connection on Yamaha RZ350/Banshee

Post by elutionsdesign »

VR, one pulse per ignition event, you should be able to run the wires directly to VR IN1 + and VR -. The HEI module is there to translate the signal from VR to square wave, its not needed.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

Search the forum for posts by board member Whitebread. He has done a Banshee and has posted a lot of information on his setup.
sweet_baby_james
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sweet_baby_james »

Got everything wired up tonight so testing will begin tomorrow. Approx what voltage should I be getting from the VR sensor when I kick the bike over? What is the threshold voltage for MS to register the signal as a legitimate pulse?

Thanks
EFI and Turbo Yamaha RZ350
Microsquirt with MSExtra 3.3.2