GM TBI injector settings...

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

GM TBI injector settings...

Post by dragbug »

I have been trying to find the specs for the OEM GM TBI injectors so I can have a good starting point for when I put the TBI on the car. However, I can't find any information that helps me setup TS. The TBI is the same one that was used for the DIY 77 Nova. Does anyone know what settings to use in TS for OEM GM TBI injectors? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks you!

1. Are they high or low impedance?
2. Injector Dead Time?
3. Injector size? (TBI from a 350)
4. Any other helpful information.....?
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: GM TBI injector settings...

Post by billr »

They are low impedance, like 1.2 ohms or so. There are a variety of injectors used, for both the SB and BB TBIs, so get the P/N off an injector... or flow them to be sure. It's pretty easy with a GM TBI, it comes off with just a few screws and the FPR is built-in.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Thanks! I was looking up the TBI part number and then searching for replacement injectors for it. None of the injectors I found mentioned injector size. I will try and get the injector part number and see if that gives me any better success. Guess I can just use the dead times suggested in the setting up manual.
1966 Mustang Fastback
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

dragbug,
I just finished setting up my TBI on my small block mopar project. Shoot me a PM to remind to send you my msq file (ms2). Or i'll try to go through the settings and post them here ...they seem to work pretty well...
Patrick
----------------------------
1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible, 318 4 speed, MS2
1964 El Camino, 383 SBC, 5 speed, MicroS
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

pferat wrote:dragbug,
I just finished setting up my TBI on my small block mopar project. Shoot me a PM to remind to send you my msq file (ms2). Or i'll try to go through the settings and post them here ...they seem to work pretty well...
Patrick
You have a PM!
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

SO I got the TBI installed tonight. Was able to finally get a somewhat ok warm idle going. I decided I was going to go up the road a bit with autotune on and see how it does. I started to get on it a bit and suddenly I heard a pop... I coasted to a stop and tried to start the car with no luck. After scratching my head for a minute I checked the fuses on the relay board and sure enough, one of the injector fuses blew. I put in a new one and still no start. Checked the relay board one more time and found the fuel pump wire came loose. I don't know which came first or if one caused the other but I was finally able to get it started and drove home. Attached is mt msq and link to the log for that run. Evidently, you can't upload files larger than 1mb :shock: I could use some advice on my tune anyway. I know its not right yet and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RbcO ... sp=sharing
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

As well as the above stuff, I need serious help with cold starts. The car starts up fine but quickly dies. After feathering the throttle and getting the car to drive a little, it will maintain idle but extremely low. The msq I posted above will be the same. I can't post a new log based on this morning because it was the drive to work and can't pull the log. The strange thing is that even once the car was up to operating temps, it isn't running as well as it did last night. The RPMs this morning at idle are between 400ish up to about 600ish.
1966 Mustang Fastback
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Try using "always on" for the IAC stepper control. I am using an IAC valve off of a BBC TBI and am kind of convinced it is unstable (loses position) with "moving only".
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Thanks! I will give that a shot. Anything else not looking right in my tune or log? Anything to explain the fuse blowing?
1966 Mustang Fastback
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Aren't those GM TBI injectors very low impedance, like 1.2 ohms? It looks like you are driving them from the mainboard, and not using PWM. How are you limiting current through the injectors, with series resistors?
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Ya I posted my log and msq in the MS3 support section also and someone mentioned that. Its corrected now.

Hey any idea why in the log my AFR is showing as .3 and .4 instead of the correct AFR reading? In TS it reads correctly and in MSDroid it reads correctly. At one time the log read it correctly too but now it doesn't. I can't find any reason why it would be showing differently in the log versus TS.
1966 Mustang Fastback
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

So... did the injector fuse blow after you enabled PWM??? Post the current .msq, I don't know what settings are appropriate for the 1.2 ohm injectors, but somebody will.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

No, it blew last night. I just changed it to PWM this afternoon based on this post http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=56858. Maybe I missed this seting in the manual. Wouldn't have been the first time. That link also has the most current msq.
1966 Mustang Fastback
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

Dragbug,
sorry for the delay in sending you my msq. I remember spending most of my time making sure the IAC worked properly to insure a good warm idle and setting up the WUE table. I used tunerstudio's WUE wizard and that helped my cold starts a lot...

Hope the general TBI settings work as well!

FYI : this msq is for ms2 (latest firmware)
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Thanks man. No worries on the delay, we all have personal lives.

I didn't know there was a WUE wizard.
1966 Mustang Fastback
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

You have to purchase the registered version to use the WUE wizard. There are other perks to registering as well. For the small amount of $ to pay for a registered version, we sure get a lot out of TS.

After a few tries it really helped my warm ups... Are you using a TBI from a 350 or 454? To get more flow out of the injectors you can bump up the pressure (i installed an adjustable regulator on mine). Believe i have mine at 15 psi (not that i really needed it, currently just have a near stock 318).
Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Mine is a registered version too. Guess I just have not found it or....I have a setting on that prevents it the same way trigger wizard is not available to me. I am at work so I can't check.

I am using a 350 TBI. I have an external pressure regulator connected on the return line and pressure is set about 15psi.
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

pferat wrote:You have to purchase the registered version to use the WUE wizard. There are other perks to registering as well. For the small amount of $ to pay for a registered version, we sure get a lot out of TS.

After a few tries it really helped my warm ups... Are you using a TBI from a 350 or 454? To get more flow out of the injectors you can bump up the pressure (i installed an adjustable regulator on mine). Believe i have mine at 15 psi (not that i really needed it, currently just have a near stock 318).
Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.
I found the WUE wizard. So I should assume the car should be completely cold when I start the wizard?
1966 Mustang Fastback
pferat
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pferat »

Yes, start the wizard as soon as you start the cold engine. It worked wonders for me after a few cold starts...FYI, what it does is figure out the fueling for the given IAC closing rate and current temp. In my tune, i still think there's room to improve the IAC opening, but it made the cold idle work well enough that i moved on to other things... Good luck!
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Thank you! I will give it a try.
1966 Mustang Fastback