AFR versus exhaust smoke

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: AFR versus exhaust smoke

Post by ollykiwi3 »

have tried 2,4,and 8 squirts per cycle. will run on all, but not great.
have tried req fuel from 20-40. just to see whats happening. agreed pw right now is high, but that's just where I stopped last night while trying different things. as above it was at 2.5 with correct req fuel per calculator.
I have Hi-z bosch inj as my new ones, but switched back to the original ford Hiz ones for now as I knew they were running fine. so no resisters.

I have since found some forums on guys having fueling problem and turned out to be inj drivers, Q14,Q15. also found the DIY troubleshoot for them.
its not that theyre not working, obviously are, but could they be faulting and driving too much?

could there be a glitch with the firmware update? maybe I should try reloading it?
AC COBRA ,302H.O, 33lb inj, 70mm throttle,TFI ign, AFR 165 heads, X303 cam, MS2Extra 3.3.3
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

Have you confirmed your spark outputs/plug wire locations? Maybe a plug wire or a few are out of sequence?

I had similar behavior when I swapped two of my four distributor cap plug wires (in a four cylinder, swapped 2 and 3). Two and three were firing 360 degrees out of sequence, and it showed very lean. Convinced that it was an error in the tune, I started commanded excessive amounts of fuel pw to bring the AFRs down, ignoring the fact I had just touched the wires doing something else. Somewhere around double the pw it should have been, the AFRs were stoich but the car was running terribly, wouldn't rev well and was smoking. Figured out what I did wrong, swapped the wires and ripped the extra fuel i added back out. :oops:
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

no. its all good.

just wondered if the new baro correction curve in the latest firmware release has some influence on it. it was at -147 and zero.
have now changed to 100% as per the release notes. could it have been throwing in loads more fuel?
that being said, it was running rich on Beta release before I downloaded new firmware, but it was a lot better than it is now

did the check of inj system per DIY test, but I already know it was working. and it just proved it was. what I don't know is how to check if that part of the system is doing something strange, but not showing as a fault.
AC COBRA ,302H.O, 33lb inj, 70mm throttle,TFI ign, AFR 165 heads, X303 cam, MS2Extra 3.3.3
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

ok, so its running a lot better now.
changed baro correction to current setup, and reloaded firmware just in case.
went for small drive but cant put much load on it as it still misses quite bad. may just be fuel still.
logged a composite logger, and I think it has some erratic signals. is what the logger sees from the input to the coil or what is coming out of the coil? I assume its from the TFI signal, which is a distributer mounted unit.
please let me know what you think
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

oh this sounds familiar. are your using a ho firing order 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 on a non ho cam 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The log is showing the PIP signal into the MS. Log looks pretty good to me at a quick glance. Pattern is 7 short and 1 longer.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

ashford: I bloody hope not. yep, using 13726548. are you saying the frd X303 cam intended for the 85-96 mustang is not the right firng order??
im sure it says it is.

slowhemi: I see the 7 short, one long, but what is the green log above it for? I think it relates to time in the data log on the left bottom of viewer, and it seems erratic, but not sure what it relates to

cheers
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I don't see the green line but if you do that is the cam input for composite logger. You don't have a cam signal so it's a fair bet you won't see much on that.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

if you choose options and select render the green graph appears. not sure what it is.
been doing some driving up my road with veal and it seems to be doing ok. getting better.
almost driveable

once I get it going ok with 19lb inj, I need to put the 40lb back in seeing as they probably weren't the issue.
is it just a case of choosing correct req fuel and leaving the table as it is? don't really want to retune all over again if I don't have to.
is there a good way of changing without too much re hashing.
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

just an update for those who may run into similar problem.
this issue is solved. it was either a software glitch which didn't like the second option(old way) I used for baro correction(0%/-47/147 setting ) or it was just that setting didn't work with my setup. I now have it set as per the first option(current way) (0/0/100) and it is back to normal. running on the 19 lb inj at idle with 3ms pw.

thanks for the help