Gas and E85 Boost, ITB, Alpha_N, speed density and E85 setup

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Gas and E85 Boost, ITB, Alpha_N, speed density and E85 setup

Post by Meguiars »

Well here i come and complicates things again, i have finaly made up my mind aboute how i should set up my tune but im not quite sure the right prosedyre.
I have been reading, googling, reading, googling and so on for a while now, and im not getting any smarter.

The car is Datsun with L28ET. Turbo, Straight six. Non carbs so i guess ITB is out of the question.

I have a Q45 Infinity MAF, not connected. I am going to run E85 in VE table 3 (i think) and also ignition for E85 in ignition table 3. I have activated table switch with P0 hardware from the GM flex sensor.
But at the same time i would like to have an economic drive when using 92-95oct gas from 0 kpa up to 100kpa but im not sure if i should use Alpha_N or ITB for that in VE Table 1, i know i have to use Speed Density from 100Kpa and up from that when going into boost in VE table 2. How should i set up the General settings for that, should i use "Dual table"? Or at primary fuel load should it be ITB,Alpha_N or SD, what aboute secondary fuel load? When all of this settings is done Table 1 to 3 is activated in the menu, not grayed out. should it be multiplicity or additive under those settings.

I have tried to find some maps that have this setup but cant find any. I would like to get the most out of the engine good economy under cruising, and power when under boost.

Since this is going to be a whole new tune, should i then leave inc. afrTarget off? so i can tune only with AFR when its all dialed in?

Im attaching the tune file, and feel free to make any changes to the tune and post it or return it to my mail: carsmart@gmail.com if you would bee so kind.

I hope you guys understand where im getting at.
Gas_and_E85_Boost.msq
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Gas and E85 Boost, ITB, Alpha_N, speed density and E85 s

Post by elutionsdesign »

ITB is never out of the question, but I assume you've got a single throttle body, how large? I'd leave the MAF sensor out, just use MAP. If you are using a single throttle body there is no reason to use anything other than speed density everywhere. Now help me better understand your use of the flex fuel sensor? Are you thinking it will trigger P0 on at some point? It reports ethanol concentration and fuel temperature so there is no ON/OFF trigger.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Meguiars »

Well i have singel TB 240sx 60mm, i dont know for sure how the flex sensor works. I just took it out of thin air that it will activate fuel switching when use E85. How should i then set up the Flex sensor settings, i mean table switching to aktivate it. I was thinking of using VE3 table for E85, so how can it then switch over to E85 from VE1.

Do i need to make a safety circuit when use of the GM flex sensor, i have ms2extra.

//Stian
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Yes, make the safety circuit. What firmware are you running? I think running an E85 map for both fuel and timing is a fine idea, realize it works much more simply in MS3 as you can table blend. MS2 cannot table blend but there are ways to make it work.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Meguiars »

Im running Ms 3.2.2

Hmm, well it seems like eveything is alot easier with ms3, but is it alot of work by getting it up running with E85 then. And again even more soldering in the ms2 box. im just getting tired of all the soldering and its like everything i want to do with the ms holds me back since it missing so much that ms3 have. I was also planning of combine Alpha_n and SD setup also, but i think ill put all of the plans on the bookshell. Im just gonna tune the car now with SD so i can get by emission control/test for the car here in Norway so i can get numberplates on it.

Im just one of the guys who wants it all if it can provide it. So i just have to save up some money to buy me self a ms3pro, the car has allready costed me ALOT of money and time. And its not even road-ready.

So is there any benefits of using Alpha_n with Speed Den? more power, more economic? Or just stick with SD tuning? Just want to know so i dont use two more weeks of reading my slef blind and confusing myself any more.

Anyone got a Tune already set up for Alpha_n and SD i just need the basic settings for it. Or again just drop it and wait for ms3pro.

Another question.
By the way, i turned on Noise killing, and the car seemed much smoother and responsive.

And i also tried to change the injection from 2 squirt alter to 1 squirt simultan, the afr was around 14:1 and when i turned on 1 squrt simult, it went down to about 10:1, Is the deadtime all wrong then? when it goes richer doing this should i increase the Deadtime or lower the deadtime. And should it be aboute the same on both squirts 2. alter and 1 simultanious when i switch between them. The deadtime that came with the injectors was at 12 Volt 0.682, 13Volt 0.616ms and at 14Volt 0.550ms so i put it in Mesgasquirt at 13.2Volt at 0.603ms. what should the correct be for those who knows how to calculate it.

On the paper i got from Fiveo it was only 4 injectors because they missed that i was suppose to have 6 injectors, does it mather if it was for 4 cyl compared to 6 cyl. Isnt the dead time equal on all of them regardless 4 or 6 cyl. See post: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 98#p424698

Here is my tune:
NR2.msq
Thanx for all help.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I think a better check of your dead time would be going from 2 squirts alternating to 4 squirts alternating instead of 1 simultaneous. That is a short dead time, what injectors are these? I also think that with a single throttle body you will get the best performance and economy by sticking with SD.

Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Meguiars »

elutionsdesign wrote:I think a better check of your dead time would be going from 2 squirts alternating to 4 squirts alternating instead of 1 simultaneous. That is a short dead time, what injectors are these? I also think that with a single throttle body you will get the best performance and economy by sticking with SD.
Well my car is a straight six vyl, so i have to use 2 squirt alternating, or 6 squirt alt. or 1-3 sq. sim.
This are Denso Custom Fiveo/Denso F87EIMP450/Pigtails: see further down on page. http://m.fiveomotorsport.com/us-euro-hi ... illac/cts/

//Stian
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

Another note when changing the squirts settings, you have to power cycle the ecu between changes, otherwise the ecu starts doing weird things and your measurements will be wrong.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Meguiars »

DeadStiff wrote:Another note when changing the squirts settings, you have to power cycle the ecu between changes, otherwise the ecu starts doing weird things and your measurements will be wrong.
Darn, i didnt do that, ill give it another shot today, and ill post the results here later.