Noob tuning help - running rich

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Noob tuning help - running rich

Post by 95racr »

Fair warning, I'm new to this tuning biz so please bear with me... :lol:

Car is a 1996 Dodge Neon, with oem injectors/ignition. We installed the MS3 a couple years ago, had it running okay but not great. Had to get a new laptop, downloaded new version of TS which wouldn't communicate with MS3, so upgraded firmware to latest. So now TS was talking to MS3 but couldn't get car to start. Don't know what we did but last Sunday the car started, but was running stupid rich, about 10:1 on the AFR gauge on the TS dashboard and WB display. Been monkeying around with settings but still can't get this thing leaned out. It starts right up and idles fine, but it's rich when cold and warmed up. Need some help because I can breathe anymore...

Settings attached but no datalog because I'm an idiot and can't figure out why it wouldn't save... :roll:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Noob tuning help - running rich

Post by Matt Cramer »

Unfortunately, I'll need to see the data log. Keep in mind that the log starts when you save the data log - I've seen some confusion as some people expect the log to end when you save it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

Well, I think I saved the datalog, but it's too big to upload. Is there a simple way to get the size smaller or just datalog again for a shorter time?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Put it in a ZIP file.
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

Hopefully this works...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That is a composite log, a special purpose log for troubleshooting RPM issues. It only records the crank and cam signals. I will need a conventional data log from the Data Logging menu to see what is going on with the fueling.
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

Matt Cramer wrote:That is a composite log, a special purpose log for troubleshooting RPM issues. It only records the crank and cam signals. I will need a conventional data log from the Data Logging menu to see what is going on with the fueling.
Sorry. I did say I am a noob at this... :lol:

I won't be able to get to the car until Thursday, so I'll try to post it Thursday night. Thanks for the help!
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

Dumb question about datalogging - what logger type should I use in Tuner Studio? The Composite logger wasn't correct but which one to use when the car is actually running?

TIA,
Paul
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

At the very top of the TunerStudio screen is a menu reading "File Options Datalog ...", that's the one you want. A whole new world of joy for you!
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

billr wrote:At the very top of the TunerStudio screen is a menu reading "File Options Datalog ...", that's the one you want. A whole new world of joy for you!
Thanks! I think... :lol:
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

Okay, I think I got the proper datalog this time... So if anybody can help me sort out the stupid rich condition I would greatly appreciate it.
strain
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by strain »

Too much warmup enrichment I saw in the datalog that you post. Also I see too much dwell at cranking, revisit the dwel voltage compensation.
I hope it helps
p.d.: Try to post an a running temp datalog to see.
Regards,
Straïn
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ok, got more questions.

1. Does it only run very rich on initial startup, or is it still too rich when it reaches operating temperature?

2. What sort of wideband are you using?
95racr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95racr »

Matt Cramer wrote:Ok, got more questions.

1. Does it only run very rich on initial startup, or is it still too rich when it reaches operating temperature?

2. What sort of wideband are you using?
1. Yep, rich across the board.

2. I bought the Innovate MTX-L WB Controller kit from Symtech Labs. As to exactly what WB oxygen sensor it is I don't know. I'm using the default Innovate LC1 setting.

Thx for the help!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Do a new free air calibration the MTX-L, and confirm the reading on the gauge matches the reading in TunerStudio. If so, get the VE table dialed in with the engine hot.