Aftermarket HEI with MS2 (MSQ added)

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Aftermarket HEI with MS2 (MSQ added)

Post by rustybottoms88 »

I have a aftermarket HEI on my AMC360. Here is the HEI http://www.topstreetperformance.com/hei ... utors.html

My questions is how do I make it work with my MS2? The distributor has a tach out put and a 12v input.
here is info on my unit.
I have updated to latest firmware.
I have read the the section on the manul about 7 pin HEi but like i said my HEi is aftermarket and only has two pins. Thanks
Last edited by rustybottoms88 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Aftermarket HEI with MS2

Post by Matt Cramer »

This distributor has a centrifugal and vacuum advance. Unless you locked out the timing, it would be used in a fuel-only mode.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Thank you Matt. My ms2 was preassembled so I do not know squat about how to set it up for fuel only from what I understand is that you have to change a few things around on the main board. Could I mail it to the DIY and have them set it up for fuel only for is it something I could do? I do not feel comfortable soldering on a board. Thank you for your help.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Do you want to run "fuel only"? It is a trivial task to lock out those advances in the dizzy.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

billr wrote:Do you want to run "fuel only"? It is a trivial task to lock out those advances in the dizzy.
If I can lock the dizzy out pretty easily then I would Like control spark with my ms2. where I first started to realize I was having issues with my ignition was when I was checking my sensor reading and when I went to check for a rpm reading I did not have one. So I started reading and realized the main board has to be setup for what ignition or the lack there of that you want to control. So slowly I have been figuring it out with you alls help. I have a wiring harness from DIY. It has atach signal wire and a wire in pin 36, I can not remeber the tech name for it, but it's the wire that would tell the module when to fire correct? It looks like I have a 4 pin HEI.
So if I go this route of locking out the dizzy would I need to make any changes to the main board?
Thank you for your help.
Edit: it says here 4 pin dizzy do not support computer control. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm
So I guess what I guess I am back to asking about modding the main board .
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think you don't want to use that Megamanual for reference, there may be some out-dated info there. Look in the latest manuals, via the link at the top of this screen, see if things are clearer there.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

billr wrote:I think you don't want to use that Megamanual for reference, there may be some out-dated info there. Look in the latest manuals, via the link at the top of this screen, see if things are clearer there.
Yes they are clearer Bill thank you. It actually opened up a whole new can of worms. It sounds like I should just get a trigger wheel if I want to control spark. Instead of trying to lock and phase the distributor I have.
It also answered that some soldering and main board mods will need to be done if I decide to go fuel only.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Indeed, I encourage you to add a crank trigger wheel, either a 36-1 or 60-2. That will give you the best combination of simplicity and accuracy, I think.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

This is the datalog from when i was testing for RPM. This is my first time to ever datalog.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm not seeing the battery voltage dip as it should when cranking. Please keep in mind that the data log starts AFTER you save the file.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Matt Cramer wrote:I'm not seeing the battery voltage dip as it should when cranking. Please keep in mind that the data log starts AFTER you save the file.
Got Ya! Thanks.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Ok alot has happened. I decided to use a 36-1 trigger wheel and hall sensor which I bought from DIY Autotune. I locked out the dizzy as mentioned earlier in this thread:
I read the manual and thought that my MSII was setup for fuel only. So I mailed it to DIY Autotune to have them change up the main board to work with my single coil and trigger wheel setup. Phil looked at it and said it was already setup for my single coil and trigger wheel and that I had read the VR sensor part of the manual and not the hall sensor. He also added a PWM idle control mod kit. I got my MSII back and went through the sensor checks and hardware testing. Everything was working until I got to my coil testing. I followed the instructing in the setting up for testing the coil and since I am using the coil in cap dizzy I cranked the engine so the rotor in the cap would turn and throw spark at each post on the cap. (I hope I did that right.) I did not detect any spark. Desptie that I moved on to check for RPM and trigger wheel input and it is not reading either. So I need help. I am determined to get this thing running despite my ignorance. This setup seems like one of the easier conversions and the wiring of the coil and hall sensor seems to be quite simple but I have obviously made a mistake in my wiring or in my Tuner Studio Settings.
Here is a look at the coil that is in the cap. I wired the red wire to 12V from fuel pump relay, the yellow wire to Pin 36 from the MSII harness and the black wire is grounded through the distributor.

This is the hall sensor I am using.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/hall ... p-479.html
The one i received has a red, black and white wire with black stripes. I wired the red wire to 12v power with key on, the black wire to all other sensor and MSII grounds and the white and black striped wire to the shielded tach wire coming from the MSII wiring harness.
Here is a look at how I have ignition settings.
Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Swapped the black wire from the coil to pin 36. still no spark.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post a picture of how your board is modified for spark output?
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Can you post a picture of how your board is modified for spark output?
Hi Matt I just received my MS2 back from Phil Koch their at DIY Autotune. He took a look at it for me and confirmed it is setup for the hall sensor. Here are the pictures I sent to him before I mailed it.

This is the sensor I bought from DIY Autotune along with the 36-1 mild steel trigger wheel.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/hall ... p-479.html
It mentions a VR conditioner? Is this something I should of had Phil Koch add to the board while he had it or?? I sent him that same link for the sensor so he would know which one I am using. He looked everything over and said it would work for my setup. I have the crank sensor shimmed out to .75mm do I need to shim it out abit more?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

For the spark output, what's in the Q16 slot, and what is wired to JS10?

The RPM input is a different matter. Can you get a tooth log of an attempted start?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

rustybottoms88 wrote:It mentions a VR conditioner? Is this something I should of had Phil Koch add to the board while he had it or??
The VR conditioner components should already be installed on your board. The conditioner circuit is jumper selectable, which can be seen in the pictures you posted.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Matt Cramer wrote:For the spark output, what's in the Q16 slot, and what is wired to JS10?

The RPM input is a different matter. Can you get a tooth log of an attempted start?
I will have to take the cover off the MS2 and see whats what as far as the output. I tried a tooth log night before last but I had the fuses pulled for fuel pump, injectors and coil just as described in 2.15 of the setting up manual so I am not sure if that would be what you call an attempted start?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If the engine was turning, the log will work.
rustybottoms88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rustybottoms88 »

Matt Cramer wrote:If the engine was turning, the log will work.
Ok. I saw no activity when i tried the "Tooth Logger" the other evening.