VEAL Keeps pulling fuel between ve1 ve2 transition

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Japan4
MS/Extra Newbie

VEAL Keeps pulling fuel between ve1 ve2 transition

Post by Japan4 »

Hey guys,

New to the forum but ive been messing aound with MS for a few years now. Currently working with a plug in style MS2 ive built for my 98 GC8 WRX and im having this issue that is sending me nuts. Looked through the forums, looked through the manuals, searched just about everywhere but yet to find a definitive answer or something that solved my issue.

Running MS2/extra 3.3.3
Basically im trying to set the ve tables up using VEAL/Autotune which is working fine except on the transition from ve1 to ve2 or 90-100kPa it keeps pulling fuel even though the AFR is leaner than than what the target is until it hits about 18:1 and starts coughing and carrying on.
AE is off, ive tried different AFR targets, checked for flags/filters being activated and yet to see anything abnormal that would cause it to want to keep taking fuel out. Everywhere else on the ve tables is fine. unfortunately i dont have any logs as yet but i have taken screenshots if it helps. I'm not sure if i am doing something wrong/wrong setting or if it may be a known bug or what not but its got me stumped. On the VE tables ive highlighted where it mainly goes lean, i keep having to increase the numbers to recorrect. I know the VE figures are all over the shop, once ive sorted this issue out i will be smoothing it all out and getting it on a dyno for fine tuning
'if someone could give me an insight of why this is happening it would be greatly appreciated

MSQ and last screenshot will be in the next post
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VEAL Keeps pulling fuel between ve1 ve2 transition

Post by elutionsdesign »

Pictures may be worth 1000 words but actual tune files and data are worth 1000 pictures. That said I'm wondering if your setup is not the problem. I run two tables as you are attempting on one of my turbo cars but I don't enable it that way, as in table blending, I use table switching. Under Boost/Advanced, select Table Switching Control, select On, select KPa, select 100. Secondary Fuel Load is intended to allow a blend of two similar tables with two different load schemes while what you have set up is two different tables with a single load scheme. Just thinking about it confuses me. Not saying it can't work but I can see where VEAL would struggle with it.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Can I ask why so many break points in the load bins? What boost do you usually run? A 16row table up to 250kpa can have a lot of resolution

Now I'm one that table switches using rpm and ve3, but all my boost points are 20kpa apart after the spool up transition You can easily make your vacuum points 8-10kpa apart and not notice any drivability stuff, ramp quick over th low boost areas and the every 20 from there. Other wise just about every boost load point needs targeted and tuned

I table switch for rpm resolution, I run 300 to 400 rpm points before and after peak tq, and 200rpm points on either side of peak tq. I've been really able to get fueling spot on with it that way
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Japan4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Japan4 »

apologies for the delayed reply

Ive set the tables up i the same way as what i've done with my Saab 900 turbo many moons ago. That is running the older 3.1.0 firmware. with that setup it works flawlessly. I have a v8 powered skyline which i have done a similar table config except with rpm instead of boost (the first table goes from 500-4000rpm, the second from 4000-8000rpm) even that seems to work fine so naturally i figured i would do the wrx in the same manner as ive done previously. seeing as i never had a problem before thats why i chose to leave table switching alone/inactive.
i can dial the numbers in manually for a given AFR and its fine, however when i use VEAL it drops numbers where it isnt meant to, Like i said everything else associated with the tune and ECU works perfectly
I shall attach my MSQ to this post (hit the upload limit on the initial post)
dont know if a log will help as the issue only arises when using VEAL, and i am not sure if you can log and use autotune at the same time, however i will capture one and post it up.

As far as the break points go, its a daily driven car/weekend fun through the hills so it does see the majority of the load bins, whatever ones it doesnt see i interpolate/smooth into the rest of the bins that have been seen/tweaked. i am currently running 15psi with the intention to go higher once ive upgraded the turbo (stock td-04 at the moment) I agree it is a lof of resolution for 250kpa, but going back to the Saab, i copied the table setup and just kept it using the two tables.