Lean out ve by two clicks on the up down arrow

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Lean out ve by two clicks on the up down arrow

Post by nathanhardy »

So now my car has a weird shimmy pretty violent actually above 4000k I can't tell if it's the clutch slipping or detonation, or spark blowing out, it only does it in second gear and up. If I get on it at a random point above 4k my car will shake like it's braking the tires lose rpm will rocket but the car doesn't pull any ideas. Just started that day I reset things but it still does it I'm not use to this type of clutch setup it's a half ceramic on pressure plate and stock on flywheel so I'm not sure what it would act like if it was slipping.. Thanks in advance!
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Lean out ve by two clicks on the up down arrow

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:

Also note that you can hit the space bar when the problem is happening to mark the data log so that others can focus on those points.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Okay thanks matt! I'll get one, I figured it's probably more mechanical but a data log is probably a good start too.. It'll be tmrw till I can tho.
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

If rpm increases and mph does not then the clutch is slipping. :cry:

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

yeah im pretty sure it is I just want to be safe! one thing I noticed is that the clutch engagement is at the top of the pedal now wouldn't that mean the pressure plate bolts have backed out?

heres a log record 37 is were it starts and after that its everywhere the rpm increases, the msq im sending is a restore point that I tried tonight with no luck!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yeah, this is looking like clutch slip to me too.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

im pretty sure it is too now! thank you for your input!!! quick question my pressure plate bolts backed out. i was able to get a 1/8 turn to a 1/4 turn. would the be enough to cause chatter under load? they really weren't that loose
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

nathanhardy wrote:im pretty sure it is too now! thank you for your input!!! quick question my pressure plate bolts backed out. i was able to get a 1/8 turn to a 1/4 turn. would the be enough to cause chatter under load? they really weren't that loose

I would not think so but any thing is possible.

Is this a new clutch or a used one?

What kind of horse power and torque are you putting to it?

What is the clutch set up rated for?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Less then 7000 miles on it new. I'm not sure on the specs I had a local company take a stock clutch and put ceramic friction on the pressure plate side and then I had a California company reinforce the plate springs and revits I'm less then 300hp and torque..
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Why did you replace the clutch, were you having issues with the clutch prior to the new install?

David