Start up process.

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Start up process.

Post by Michael »

Running MS1 V3, 2 litre Zetec, wasted Spark.

I would like confirmation that my understanding of the startup process is correct. I have read the manuals, but feel there may be some ambiguity in the use of terms for MS1. MS2 and 3 are different.
I believe that the process is as follows:
1) Turn key, fuel pump primes and injectors squirt priming pulse determined by Cranking/Priming Settings with reference to, in my case Priming Table, but could be set to "Standard Prime"
2) Turn to Crank, Cranking advance is selected, and fuel is injected while cranking in accordance with the Priming Pulse Width Table.
3) Once Cranking RPM is exceeded, Fuelling hands over to ASE + WUE, Ignition goes to Normal Spark Table 1 (in my case). After ASE times out, engine runs on WUE until warm.

My real problem is understanding what happens during cranking as it seems to me that "Priming Pulse Width" would relate to priming pulses prior to actual cranking, but it seems that the Priming Pulse Width table also relates to the injector pulse width during cranking.

Can anyone confirm or correct my understanding please?

Thanks - Michael.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Start up process.

Post by jsmcortina »

The cranking pulse curve is used during cranking. As you suspected, the priming pulse curve is only used for priming. Where did you read otherwise? (Typo in the manual perhaps?)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Michael »

I don't think I so much read otherwise, but supposed otherwise. I can see in MS 2 and MS3 manuals that there is a distinct Priming PW setting and a cranking PW. In My MS1, looking in TS (paid for and registered) I only have a "Priming Pulse Width Table" under the Startup/Idle tab. As I didn't see any specific "Cranking Pulse Width" table, I supposed that this Priming Pulse Width Table controlled pulse width for both priming and cranking.

The car runs very well and startup is not too bad, but could be better. I've been trying to improve this, but the only tools I seem to have available for this are Priming Pulse Width Table and cranking advance. I've been gradually adjusting Priming PW to improve cold starts and this is to some extent successful, but I cant help feeling that I'm missing something somewhere.

MSQ and MSL attached if they help at all.

Thanks - Michael.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Is the motor starting and dying or failing to fire at all?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Michael »

Thanks Elutionsdesign. The car starts reasonably, on a cold morning takes 2 or 3 seconds cranking. Subsequent starts on the same day are quite good, but not quite up to OEM standard. It seems from the logs, that it actually catches quite quickly, passes into ASE, then goes back to Cranking, repeats 2 or 3 times and then starts fine. Once started the car runs very well. I have another thread running, "Would like a crisper Startup", in this forum addressing my attempts to achieve this. I really raised this thread to confirm that I had the correct understanding of the MS1 startup process. The bit I can't find, as identified by James, is a Cranking Pulse Width Table for MS1. I have a Priming Pulse Width Table, but no Cranking PW Table in TS.
However, any clues to improve starting gratefully received! MSQ and MSL in previous post.

Thanks - Michael
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Michael »

Can anybody tell me where I find this mysterious Cranking Pulse Width Table in TS for MS1 please? Thanks Michael
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I know a way you might find it. Tunerstudio has a search bar in the upper right that you can search for the setting that your looking for.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

Michael wrote:Can anybody tell me where I find this mysterious Cranking Pulse Width Table in TS for MS1 please? Thanks Michael
Crank/Warm up -> Cranking settings -> Cranking/Priming PW table ?
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
Michael
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Michael »

Thanks DeadStiff and 2swe. The Search bar, which I had not used before, takes me to "Cranking Pulse Width Temps" in Cranking Settings which just determines which sensor to use to calculate PW: CLT and/or MAT. 2swe's comments take me back to my original supposition.

Perhaps I need to re-state my problem: I would like to know how to set the Injector PW during cranking in MS1 in other words, Cranking Pulse Width.

The MS1/Extra Tuning Manual Tuner Studio, Page 10 refers to Cranking PW and then shows an illustration of the "Priming PW Table". Logically, and as confirmed by James, this only relates to the amount of fuel injected at power up for Priming.

However, going back to MegaTune, there is a "Cranking/Priming PW table". It was this and various references elsewhere in the forum and on the net that led me to suppose that the "Priming PW Table" shown on TS for MS1 controlled both Priming and Cranking PulseWidths and that the title of the table is slightly inaccurate as it did not carry over from Megatune.

Michael.
mauser240
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mauser240 »

Anyone?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Michael wrote:Perhaps I need to re-state my problem: I would like to know how to set the Injector PW during cranking in MS1 in other words, Cranking Pulse Width.
2swe already answered this for you.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
mauser240
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mauser240 »

But for MS1extra, at least in tunerstudio, there is no such table...

Does this mean that Cranking PW = Priming PW?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm simply confused. After a two-year pause in the thread, the only new questions was "anyone", and that wasn't from the OP.

What is your specific question, mauser240? And, I suggest starting a new thread, with MSQ, MSL, etc.
mauser240
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mauser240 »

Michael wrote:Perhaps I need to re-state my problem: I would like to know how to set the Injector PW during cranking in MS1 in other words, Cranking Pulse Width.
This is my problem too.

In my own words: How to set the Cranking PW as there is no such table? Priming PW is the closest I can find.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The MS1 uses the same table for priming and cranking PW.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
mauser240
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mauser240 »

Matt Cramer wrote:The MS1 uses the same table for priming and cranking PW.
Thanx!