New engine won't start - HELP!

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

beachbuggy61
Helpful MS/Extra'er

New engine won't start - HELP!

Post by beachbuggy61 »

Hi all,

I have had an MS2 working perfectly on a 1915cc turbo VW Baja for a long time and I've just built a new engine. Transferred everything MS related over and it won't start. It was running fine when I pulled the engine.

My VR sensor position has not changed on the new engine and it is pointing directly at tooth #9 when at TDC. Double checked all of my wiring and there are no faults with power to everything that it should be.

I'm getting regular lost syncs and all no PW readings then suddenly I get PW but it still doesn't fire.

I have increased engine size from 1915 to 2332cc and have upped the VE table 12% and so even if it runs a bit lean I figure it should at least run!

Current tune and datalog from my attempted start today are attached.

I'm at a loss. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance, Marc.
1968 VW Type 1 Baja 2332cc, Borg Warner K16 Turbo, Quad throttle body injection, MS2
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New engine won't start - HELP!

Post by billr »

Same crank wheel and sensor as before, correct? It seems almost certain some wiring/connector got disrupted during the engine change. Post a tooth log. Have somebody else check the wheel/sensor/wiring re-install. I find that I "see" things the way I know they are supposed to be, not the way they actually are, when I am checking my own work for an error.
beachbuggy61
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by beachbuggy61 »

Thanks for the advice Bill. Being on my own I couldn't get someone to check for me so I tried with open eyes and all is ok.

After doing a bit more research I discovered that if you put a new VR sensor on, you sometimes have to reset with the trim pots. I opened the MS2, turned the trim pots all the way to the left and tried again and it fired up!

Now I just have to tune it for the new bigger motor :-)

Cheers, Marc.
1968 VW Type 1 Baja 2332cc, Borg Warner K16 Turbo, Quad throttle body injection, MS2
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

Are you getting RPM when your cranking?
2000 Firebird V6 to LS3 swap.
MS3 Pro