2squirts or 4squirts for v8?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

2squirts or 4squirts for v8?

Post by ollykiwi3 »

I have moved this over from my other post as it might have got lost and off the original topic.
Check my other post about ego fluctuation for more details but basically...

Is there a suggested setting for number of squirts for a v8?
Or is it just a case of trial and error to see what works best for my setup?

Have read most of the threads about dead time and changing squirts also, but just want to check I'm on the right track.

Idea is to get same afr value at idle when switching between squirts.
When dead time is reduced the afr will go lean, so to compensate for lean condition I adjust ve value up to get afr back, and vice versa for rich. It's that simple right?

If so,can I use veal to adjust ve value while changing dead time as it will try and keep afr the same?

Trying to keep this simple.

Thanks
AC COBRA ,302H.O, 33lb inj, 70mm throttle,TFI ign, AFR 165 heads, X303 cam, MS2Extra 3.3.3
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 2squirts or 4squirts for v8?

Post by dontz125 »

An MS2 can (with daughter card mods) drive 4 channels; you can run semi-sequential on a V8.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

thanks, but not really looking to change anything as far as hardware is concerned.
just trying to get a general consensus or what most people are using.

have just tried alternating between 2 and 4 squirts, and there is no way it will run on 4 squirts.
really weird, but tried deadtime from 0.4-1.1ms and VE from 30-90 and it just runs like crap.
really sounds like running on 4-5 cyl, not just dying out due going lean, but really running on less cyl.
AFR was still fairly close to 2squirt AFR of 13-13.4, didn't really change much unless I went crazy with deadtime or VE.

I wonder if the TS file is corrupted and is missing something.
as stated in previous posts, it used to run on 4 squirts with 19lb inj.
AC COBRA ,302H.O, 33lb inj, 70mm throttle,TFI ign, AFR 165 heads, X303 cam, MS2Extra 3.3.3
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

ollykiwi3 wrote:on 4 squirts.
really weird, but tried deadtime from 0.4-1.1ms and VE from 30-90 and it just runs like crap.
really sounds like running on 4-5 cyl, not just dying out due going lean, but really running on less cyl.
I am having a similar issue but not sure if its due to a bad motor or something else. I can tell you that the more squirts you run, the richer the AFR will be and when you change from alternating to simultaneous it gets even more rich. I am running a GM TBI that only has two injectors. I was used 4 squirts alternating and it was suggested for me to switch to simultaneous to help with a lean condition I was having, which ended up being due to a bad intake gasket. Anyway, I have noticed most people seem to be running 4 squirts but as you guessed, its really going to be what works best for your application.
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

This is bank-firing four injectors in parallel? A lot depends on which cylinders are paralleled and the manifold (if any) design, tell us more. The "simple way" is to accurately measure dead-time and fuel-flow, then quit using them as tuning parameters! It should make little-to-no difference whether you use 2 or 4 squirts.
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

Drag bug- thanks for the info and feedback,but It seems your setup is a bit different to mine.

Billr- in my other posts I described the system, but created this new one as it was getting off topic. Yes batch fire 4inj on each using standard 90's ford split intake with the oval runners. Cyl 1674 on one 2358 on other.thats how it's been for 2yrs.nothing different. It was running 4squirt before on the stock engine. Check my other post about ego fluctuation re plug condition.
I'm not trying to use deadtime as tuning tool,but trying to use squirts as tuning tool and have been trying to use deadtime as suggested to get it to work with different squirts. It just won't work on 4 no matter what I do now.its almost like only one bank of inj is firing on 4squirts. Hard to explain, but a lot easier if you could hear it.
It's running ok on 2squirts ,just wanted to see if it would be better on 4. May just leave as is.

Has anyone had corrupt file issues in the msq before cause that's where I'm heading. When I fisrt ran this motor at Christmas it wouldn't run. Reloaded TS and new firmware and it started up. Maybe still a glitch in this part of the tune file?
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

On mine I had similar issues. However, the injector dead was far too low and I ended up in the non-linear curve of the injectors.
ollykiwi3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ollykiwi3 »

Yves wrote:On mine I had similar issues. However, the injector dead was far too low and I ended up in the non-linear curve of the injectors.
Not saying my injector deadtime is correct but I'm running 4ms on 2squirt with 33lb inj. So I'm sure that's not my problem.
I tried a wide range of deadtime and ve cells and the afr didn't change a whole bunch until it went to the extreme ends of ve or deadtime, but it still ran like crap and sounded like 5cyl.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

if you don't put in the real actual measured deadtime, you will have all kinds of problems and changing from 2 squirts to 4 squirts wont help, measure the deadtime, then put that real value in and then the ecu will have a chance to make the correct fueling. I am using 2 squirts alternating, which means one bank fires , then the other, I am doing this to control the fuel load, rather than have 8 injectors firing at once I have 4, makes less demand on the fuel pump. I can only recommend putting the real deadtime into the system, because when I did the testing and got the real numbers my engine was way easier to tune and actually ran better.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.