Critique my timing table

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Critique my timing table

Post by aw113sgte »

My timing table is what is generated by http://www.useasydocs.com/theory/spktable.htm
I do not have access to a load bearing dyno so I will be doing what I can tuning on the road.
What I am seeing from 1000cc 4 cylinder bikes is total timing about 40 degrees. Since I will be boosting up to 10psi, the common suggestion of 1degree/1psi so that would put my total timing around 30deg, however the calculator spits out 18.6. Thoughts?

My table:
map2d.jpg
My motorcycle specs for table entry:
ign calc.jpg
Table of an R1 (same bore/stroke as my WR250X, similar head design, different cams etc).
09R1ignGear6.jpg
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Critique my timing table

Post by elutionsdesign »

I'm certainly more in agreement with the MS timing table, a mulitvalve chamber with swirl/tumble (stumble) at that static compression ratio should never need much timing as it is quite a bit more efficient than a two valve pushrod motor. I would start at something in the mid 20's for total timing but I would drop it less than 1 degree per psi boost. Then I would find a constant load dyno.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

from looking about my self motorbikes do seem to run a hell of a lot of ignition advance.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

This is the curve of an '87 FZR1000; 75 x 56mm, 11.2:1 compression. No TPS and no EXUP, and most of the FZRs were considered to be detuned by about 5* vs what you could run on typical (87) pump gas. With a TPS, you should have no issues adding a LOT of advance at part-throttle operation. Obviously, pulling advance as you boost ...
FZR1000T.jpg
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

I've updated the timing table and here is what I am running now. Bike runs well, unfortunately without access to a load dyno I am left guessing. I also can't detect pinging/knocking....single cylinder motorcycle.
timing2.jpg