Cold start issue with MS3Basic in project miata

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Buckles
MS/Extra Newbie

Cold start issue with MS3Basic in project miata

Post by Buckles »

Hey all, this is my first forum post so please go easy on me if I'm not checking all the boxes with my posting. I'll try to provide as much information as possible and I'll include the tune file as an attachment. I do not have a datalog for this yet, but can get one if you guys think it's necessary out of the gate. I'm betting somebody can look at the tune and give me a good start then I can pull a log to tweak from, but again I'm a novice and could be way off.

The car:
1991 miata platform
2002 1.8 liter VVT longblock engine swap (stock engine/head with ~40k miles, no modification to internals)
2002 coil-on-plug (well coil on 2 plugs x 2...) conversion so not using first gen plugs
2002 intake manifold, but butterflies are not connected/wired right now
2002 injectors
2002 CAS/CAM sensors so no more first gen CAS unit
1995 alternator
2002 throttle cable so no adapter plate
Raceland 1.8 miata header
1991 fpr
Using 1991 sensors if not listed above
Still has power steering and AC
Customer RAM air intake
GM IAT sensor wired in
Wideband wired in

I performed the mechanical swap myself and got the car running poorly without VVT on the factory 1.6 ECU. I had a customer MS3Basic built my MSLabs to use the factory miata harness. I'm not terribly experienced with electronics/wiring so I took it to a local shop for the ECU installation and tuning. The shop did a great job installing the ECU and wideband then performed a street tune for me. The car runs well and I have no complaints except it simply doesn't do well on cold starts. I don't know much/anything about tuning and I have no experience as such. I know just enough to pull the tune file and to modify the tune/burn it if told exactly what to do. I'm really hoping to get this car idling well on cold starts as it was supposed to be a gift for my wife and she can't drive it in its current condition.

Details of issue:
Car fires up just fine with no issues, but the RPMs immediately dump and it typically stalls shortly after. Often times it tosses a check engine light once the RPMs get low and it feels very rough while the RPMs are down. If I give it lots of gas to keep the RPMs up at start, I can prevent it from stalling and as soon as I start driving the car, it idles fine when at a stop. I've taken it back to the shop twice since the initial tune and he has put a lot of time into trying to fix this, but has had no luck and has thrown in the towel. I do not know much about this, but I do see that it's currently set to IAC Stepper Always On which I'm pretty sure it not what it should be. I've read about PWM and closed loop idle, but I don't know enough to trust myself in playing with it unless I get a bit of guidance from a pro. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody would take a look at the tune and give me a good starting place with cold start idle settings. I can burn them to the ECU and do a datalog at start so we can tweak if possible.

Thanks in advance for whoever is willing to help with this. I've had the car for almost 2 years now and I'm really hoping to get things resolved so my wife can start driving it while the weather is so nice out.

-Chris
Buckles
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Cold start issue with MS3Basic in project miata

Post by Buckles »

So I did some reading and took a crack at tuning CLI myself. Needless to say, it did not work and now rather than starting and sputtering a whole bunch then sometimes stalling and sometimes not, it now reliably starts right up then immediately dies. I've included the tune as I have it now. One thing I'm concerned about is the frequency setup. I had the PWM idle frequency set to 306Hz originally, but when I went to CLI, it gave me a conflict error. I looked and found the VVT frequency setting is 511Hz so I changed it to that and the error went away, but now it reliable stalls every time I start the car. I'm not sure if it's an issue with that or if I missed a table that needs values? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've attached the latest version of the tune for anybody willing to have a look.
elior77
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Cold start issue with MS3Basic in project miata

Post by elior77 »

Miata use pwm iac valve not a stepper.

For start try pwm warm up and test tune your iac.

"Out put test mode - idle valve", find your min/max dury %.

report back
97 1.8T DIYPNP Seq Inj
http://megamiata.blogspot.co.il/