1.6L NA Miata Turbo stalling

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Buckles
MS/Extra Newbie

1.6L NA Miata Turbo stalling

Post by Buckles »

Hey, I have a 1.6 NA miata with a Begi turbo kit run off a MSPnP1Extra. The car starts with a bit of effort then idles pretty well. I can rev it in neutral without issue and aside from some engine noise (maybe valve tapping?) it seems fine. Once I try to drive the car, the rpms increase with throttle response to a point, then hang and the car stutters/doesn't want to rev higher. After moving, it stalls when coming to a stop. I was able to get the car into boost once by driving slowly in first gear then putting the clutch in, revving the engine high, then letting the clutch out. I bought the car in this condition and am trying to sort it out for autocross usage. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a tune issue or a mechanical problem so I'm hoping somebody here can take a quick look at the tune and data log to see if there's an obvious tune problem. If not, I'll need to dig deeper in the mechanical area to see what might be wrong. I've attached the tune and a datalog of the car after start just running idle. It looks a bit wonky, but I'm a novice with tuning so I'm not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 1.6L NA Miata Turbo stalling

Post by Matt Cramer »

I will need a data log that captures the stuttering and stalling behavior - it appears neither one put in an appearance in the log you posted.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Buckles
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 1.6L NA Miata Turbo stalling

Post by Buckles »

Sounds good and yeah I took that log of the car just sitting there idling. I didn't get a log of the bad behavior which in hindsight I should have done before posting. I'll get a log of the car driving and stuttering then stalling soon and post it here. Thanks for taking a look at this for me!