Closed Loop Idle - Increase Recovery Speed

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Closed Loop Idle - Increase Recovery Speed

Post by ErnieJones »

I've got a quick question on closed loop idle. I've got it roughed in quite well on my motorbike but there's one issue that I'm not sure how to address or what setting needs to be changed.

When I come up to a stop and pull the clutch in the idle is too low. After a few seconds the IAC pulls the idle back up to the correct level. So it's working well but I'd like to see that delay decreased so that the IAC responds faster and I'm not sure what setting does that. My settings so far look like this;
closedloop.jpg
What setting should I be looking at to reduce that time?
Thanks you;
Ernie
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Closed Loop Idle - Increase Recovery Speed

Post by grom_e30 »

pid delay. all conditions have to be met for 3 seconds before it even starts to make any adjustments.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

grom_e30 wrote:pid delay. all conditions have to be met for 3 seconds before it even starts to make any adjustments.
Thanks Grom - that seems to have made a difference :D
Thanks you;
Ernie
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I also like to use a collant based initial value over the last value. I'm able to catch idle about 100rpm above my target than pid kicks in
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

nathaninwa wrote:I also like to use a collant based initial value over the last value. I'm able to catch idle about 100rpm above my target than pid kicks in
I was thinking along the same lines. I'm seeing that there are different 'levels' to fine tuning and it's pretty neat. I'm getting closer all the time and I think coolant based values should be easy since I have them from doing the open loop warmup :D
Thanks you;
Ernie
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

yeah i second the clt based initial duty table been using it with ms3 works well once tuned, the other great thing ms3 has is you can have the closed loop idle engage by vss, so below say 10mph it goes in to cl idle.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

ErnieJones wrote:
nathaninwa wrote:I also like to use a collant based initial value over the last value. I'm able to catch idle about 100rpm above my target than pid kicks in
I was thinking along the same lines. I'm seeing that there are different 'levels' to fine tuning and it's pretty neat. I'm getting closer all the time and I think coolant based values should be easy since I have them from doing the open loop warmup :D
Don't use coolant based! Coolant temp is factored in roughly by changing the target RPM. Use MAT based. On most cars this has a greater effect on the actual idle speed once target RPM based on CLT is factored in.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

muythaibxr wrote:Don't use coolant based! Coolant temp is factored in roughly by changing the target RPM. Use MAT based. On most cars this has a greater effect on the actual idle speed once target RPM based on CLT is factored in.
I take it by MAT you also mean IAT and by car you also mean motorcycle? :lol: If so, I'm game to try it :mrgreen:
Thanks you;
Ernie
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I found, maybe in my particular application, iat was tough to tune. Meaning it could be 30-40 degrees outside and the and after a boost pull temps were way higher than ambiaent and trying to get the motor to idle in each situation was tough. Now that I have a better intercooler boost iat's are not as high, but my overall tune is better

Maybe I'll tinker with iat based setup again, but so far idle is solid with it based on collant temp
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Most people have issues with CLT based when heat soak starts happening.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

ErnieJones wrote:
muythaibxr wrote:Don't use coolant based! Coolant temp is factored in roughly by changing the target RPM. Use MAT based. On most cars this has a greater effect on the actual idle speed once target RPM based on CLT is factored in.
I take it by MAT you also mean IAT and by car you also mean motorcycle? :lol: If so, I'm game to try it :mrgreen:
Yes and yes.
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

I could never get "Initial/Last Value: Last Value" to be reliable no matter how high i made the DashPot Adder.
I always got an occasional stall when pulling up to stop lights.

Im now using these settings which work great:
Initial/Last Value: Initial Value Table
Dashpot Adder: 0%
Close Delay: 0
PID Delay: 2sec
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.