To long to start

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

smokey212
Helpful MS/Extra'er

To long to start

Post by smokey212 »

Got a question for the experts. I've been trying to get the starting down to just a couple turns of the engine. I can't seem to get it to fire up quick enough like a newer/stock EFI engine. I have been moving all my setting for crank pw and after start enrichment around and it will start and run fine. I'd just like to get it to start faster.

I noticed that my RPM's seems to bounce around while it tries to crank. I removed the cover and adjusted my trim post using the composite logger to make a nice clean edge on the output signal. I adjusted R56 just enough to allow it to crank, but if I go as much as half a turn more counter clockwise than that it allows huge spikes in the rpm during cranking. I am using an MSD distrubutor VR style pickup at the trigger. Is this long starting something I'm going to have to live with due to it building up voltage? See Datalog and tune below.

Thanks for any help.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: To long to start

Post by grom_e30 »

it seems to crank for a second or so before any rpm is picked up and then you get the rpm spikes to
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
smokey212
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by smokey212 »

yeah I noticed that. If I attempt to turn R56 CCW any further it gets really noisy. I feel like R52 is in the 8-12 turn CW. I got it just about half a turn above the last noticeable dirty falling edge. So I think hysteresis setting is good.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You can try reducing Skip Pulses to get it to sync faster.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
smokey212
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by smokey212 »

Thanks Matt. I'll give that a try