quick and easy itb mode setup

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

quick and easy itb mode setup

Post by baz-r »

i have been trying to dial in good linear tps switch point on my itb load zetec engine for a bit now and i came up with a quick and fool proof way of getting a good switch point log
you will need a running and driving car/bike with half decent tune dialed in (possibly veal) a tel tail light or rev light connected to a programmable output on your ms and a way of data logging as you drive to view later on

the key is to rig up the light on dash to be lit between 89 and 91kpa, i did this buy setting my rev light on my fidle pin to map and on above 89kpa AND on below 91kpa
this way you know your getting the best amount of 90kpa map data possible all the way up the revs and excluding wasted logging time and data to trall through.

go for a run with logging on and the key is to try and do some pulls a in highish gear from low to high rpm (like you where on a dyno)and keeping the light lit all time or as much as possible, all the way up your rev range as high as you can, a lower gear pull might be needed for the very top end.
try and get a good few pulls and a bit of driving about keeping the light lit as much as possible (its harder than you think).

then you will need to open your data log you just made in megalogviewer scatter plotter and create to filters (1)called itb high for map over 91kpa and (2) called itb low for map below 89kpa on yor scatter plots and tps up/down and rpm across and map as data plots
this will give you a true line of tps% where map is @ baro switch point just as you need it for tunerstudio
you can now use this to set your tps switch point to get good "true" itb load

happy tuning and please feel free to add any itb tuning tips here
Last edited by baz-r on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: quick and easy itb mode setup

Post by baz-r »

please find attached images of relevent setting up
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

and megalogviewer showing itb switch point data you need to input into your itb load settings
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

then back to tunerstudio to put the data in (changes look in ms2,ms3 and firmwares)
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

that is pretty nice, I am getting ready to make the change from speed density to itb mode, I have been using SD for the past 8 or 9 years. I went through hours of datalogs and using excel I set up a spread sheet and input the values from all the logs to come up with my numbers, but doing this way was a lot simpler.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

kaeman wrote:that is pretty nice, I am getting ready to make the change from speed density to itb mode, I have been using SD for the past 8 or 9 years. I went through hours of datalogs and using excel I set up a spread sheet and input the values from all the logs to come up with my numbers, but doing this way was a lot simpler.
thanks. i had a simular issue im sure if we all had a dyno it would be a doddle but we dont :(
i found this way i can get a total full data band from idle to almost max rpm in a 10-15 min drive and log and getting what you need to input into tuner studio in minuits form a log.
im sure you could do the same thing with live gauge on a tablet or laptop but as i have a lotus 7 replica this is not possible but the dash lamp way is far less distracting.

i got my engine to first run in SD in the workshop but from what i understand load calc over 90kpa is far too wooly as you can see my 1800cc 4cyl 16v n/a engine that made 165bhp at the time only needs 30% throttle at max rpm to get 90kpa on 42mm bodies. i think i went a bit over size.

something i cant just explain is why my engine wants more fuel and makes better power 60-80% load 2500-3500 rpm even with the same ign advance?
i know this is where the fast road cam's power should be "in" but why opening throttle more dropps it of is somthing i can only understand to be harmonics or tract length
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

your torque max must be around 3000 rpm... which is why it likes the extra fuel and doesn't need extra spark advance, its probably where your runner length is making the most favorable air velocity and cylinder filling. my engine made best torque at about 3500 rpm with 8 inch stacks on the itbs. and that seems to be where my fuel table is the richest, it actually has higher ve numbers at high throttle opening from 2500 to 3500 rpm than it does at 6500 rpm.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Two_Wheeler
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Two_Wheeler »

I'm collecting data now that my bike runs. I set up Megalog Viewer & Tuner Studio as above and have one question-

How do you transfer data from MLV to TS?
1981 Suzuki GS1000G & 1992 GSX1100G Microsquirt Projects
Adapting fuel injection mostly from a 2003 GSXR600
Hearing "It can't be done" is SOP around here.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

when you have megalog viewer open you want to go to analyze and then load the tune that you made the datalog with into megalog viewer. after doing the analyzing you can then save the new tables and use file save as to give the new tune a name you can remember, like current tune analyzed or something easy. after saving the tune in megalog you open tuner studio and open the tune there. then you can see everything you want and the new tune can be uploaded to the vehicle.
Two_Wheeler
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Two_Wheeler »

Thanks for the help.
1981 Suzuki GS1000G & 1992 GSX1100G Microsquirt Projects
Adapting fuel injection mostly from a 2003 GSXR600
Hearing "It can't be done" is SOP around here.