It's running, but, need help tuning: air cooled

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

michel j
MS/Extra Newbie

It's running, but, need help tuning: air cooled

Post by michel j »

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I have a long term project that is now running. It starts, idles, and good power up to 3K rpm, but, does not pull well after that(AFR is too high). I think my VE table is not good in high RPM and to far out for auto tune to do anything. Wish I knew how to reset the log time to 0 or to time of day when log was taken. Any help would be appreciated.
2015-04-10_09.51.56_first drive with ignition changes.msq

My engine:

4 cylinder air cooled VW type 4
2270 displacement,
LS coils ignition, common intake plenum
michel j
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: It's running, but, need help tuning: air cooled

Post by michel j »

I tried to load my log file but it is too big for posting at 5M. Can send to anyone willing to help. Thanks, Michel

[img]
DSC_5850.JPG
[/img]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That is a very weird VE table, some rpm columns being repeated and some in ascending then descending order of rpm. You are using a narrow-band O2 sensor? I wouldn't even try to use VEAL with a NB. You need to start with a more realistic VE table, even a generic one from one of the sample projects would probably be better.
michel j
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by michel j »

Thanks. I copied a VE table that found online and it now runs much better. I am running with a wide band O2 sensor. After 20 miles of VEAL here is result. I feel little roughness between 3100 and 3600 RPM and AF reading is still a little rich. Any comments welcome. Thanks
DSC_5856.JPG
2015-04-11_11.36.00.msl
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I am running with a wide band O2 sensor.
That is not what EGO Control is set to in the MSQ you posted above. As Bill pointed out, it is set to Narrow Band and will not produce the results you are looking for using VEAL!

That VE table certainly looks a lot better though! :D

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
michel j
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by michel j »

All right, I get it. I changed it from
IMG_20150411_210753.JPG
to
IMG_20150411_210723.JPG

It is amazing how quickly I got this up MS running semi tuned. There is a long way to go yet, but, it is so much improved in just one day. I believe the VEAL ( I actually did not know what VEAL meant this morning, I had to look it up) did work and changed many cells for the better even with the incorrect "narrow band" setting.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Thanks
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Be sure you have the correct calibration set for that WB, and don't take its data as "gospel", there are many ways a WB can be in error. Pay attention to how the engine is running and how the plugs look, too.
michel j
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by michel j »

Bill, I wondered about O2 calibration. I bought the sensor used and not trusting it as much as if it was new. It is an AEM I think and there was a rotary switch that I need to turn, to set. I remember it was set to Lambda(not sure what that does but I have read it a number of times) and had to change it. Would love to check the calibration somehow. Not crazy about removing plugs but I see your point. Thanks
michel j
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by michel j »

Wish I knew how to reset the log time to 0 or to time of day when log was taken. Any help would be appreciated. I will also post in Megalogviewer to see if I can get an answer to this question.