startup on new wiring and second O2

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

startup on new wiring and second O2

Post by Yves »

I've just started up my engine after doing a dead time test, rewiring and a second O2. The grounds now are all on the engine which seems to have a positive effect on noise.

I didn't put in the new dead time numbers that I got after my test. They vary some between the injectors. I seem to have a significant difference in one bank's O2 vs the other of about .7-.8 point in AFR.
Would using 2 different dead time settings have an effect ?
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: startup on new wiring and second O2

Post by kaeman »

If you have tested the dead times for all the injectors, then you could put in the correct dead time for each injector, and see if that balances out the o2 readings, you will have to mark the injectors and the dead time of each one so that you can put in the information in the correct driver order. Good luck.

Have you used a manometer to make sure that all the ports are flowing evenly? you might need to adjust the throttle linkage to correct the air flow from bank to bank.
Also if you are using dual o2 sensors, you could try swapping the sensors and see if the readings change sides?
It might be a sensor didn't calibrate properly or it may be that one sensor is having a problem, just because its new doesn't mean its good.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Hm, after calibration they both show the same AFR when nothing is running, I would think that's an indication that they're both working correctly.

I have to go over the itb balancing again :( . I didn't thouch them since I last set them so I assumed they were correct. Only thing I did was reset the valves.

As for the dead times : I'm still on ms2 as my ms3 still hasn't arrived yet and I need to go through tech tomorrow. I'm under the impression that with the correct dead time (.600) it wouldn't run correctly but my WUE was also off and she was running lean on start up.

The offset from one bank to the other bothers me a lot, since it's the side that usually gets measured during inspection that's running rich (in the 12's). I'm lucking in the sense that I can still run 6% CO and pass but nonetheless.
The engine doesn't seem to be happy as running is quite unequal.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I reset my throttleposition at idle since I had a too high idle. It seems to do ok now.

However, when I try to adjust the mixture leaner (last time it was around 13.5 and I would like around 14) things went haywire again.

Sorry no log about that.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I don't know why the ms2 wouldn't run correctly if you give it the proper deadtime value, the problem will be that with the correct deadtime your tune will not be right, and you will need to retune the ve table.
do you have o2 correction working, and is the o2 sensor that megasquirt is using for input in the exhaust manifold that is leaner? try to switch o2 sensors to the other side and see if that changes which side is running rich. I don't know if your ms2 has the second o2 sensor able to control the afr for each bank like the ms3. if you can enable the second o2 sensor and tell it which cylinders it will be controlling then your ecu should be able to balance the afr for each bank using the sensor from that bank.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

There is a possibility to run each bank on a different O2. I think I'm going to wait untill my ms3 arrives. I can do it properly then.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

yes the ms3 will use dual o2 sensors and allow you to assign which sensor each cylinder will be using for corrections.