6VE1 chevrolet luv 2005 triggering pattern?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

6VE1 chevrolet luv 2005 triggering pattern?

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi anyone know what trigger pattern the 6VE1 engine uses?

I can see the crank trigger sensor on the side of the block has three pins and found a service manual stating 5v, gnd and signal so I suppose its a hall effect? no way a reluctor would have 5v right?

I found some forum talking about 60-2 and other 57 teeth? and 1 cam tooth?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 6VE1 chevrolet luv 2005 triggering pattern?

Post by dontz125 »

The GM LS1 crank sensor is VR, but has the conditioning circuit right in the sensor body, so the output is a 5v pulse. It's treated by the MS the same as a Hall sensor.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi guys I found the engine uses 60-2 on the crank and 1 tooth on the intake right bank (right beeing looking from the front of the car towards the engine)

So I guess my trigger setup (ms2) should be toothed wheel with 60 minus 2 (trigger angle to find out yet) I specify that there is a cam input but where do I specify how many teeth for cam signal?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Select 'Dual wheel with missing tooth', or something similar. (On the phone, can't give exact cite.)

While some specific decoders use odd cam tooth patterns, a generic missing tooth wheel can only use one cam tooth.

(Of course, and just to be difficult, some of the "poll" cam wheels actually have multiple teeth, but the way the code handles polling it only reads the wheel at specific moments. But that doesn't matter with your setup.)
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jasaircraft wrote:So I guess my trigger setup (ms2) should be toothed wheel with 60 minus 2 (trigger angle to find out yet) I specify that there is a cam input but where do I specify how many teeth for cam signal?
Did you read the manual?
Start here:http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... 3-121.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

yes I read it but it just describes a procedure to setup the 60-2 plus 1 cam tooth.... it doesnt say "where to specify the number of cam teeth" I guess its supposed to be 1 and therefore no number option?
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

btw for some reason the stock hall effect sensors just wouldnt act with 5v, so im using 12v which seems to work ok... I have now crank reading selecting single coil, but since the engine has 6 coils, I would prefer to go sequential using the cam signal, otherwise I guess I`ll have to select wasted-cop...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jasaircraft wrote:yes I read it but it just describes a procedure to setup the 60-2 plus 1 cam tooth.... it doesnt say "where to specify the number of cam teeth" I guess its supposed to be 1 and therefore no number option?
With a multitoothed cam wheel, you typically use Poll Level - for ignition sync it only uses one tooth that is in place on one crank revolution and not there on the next.

The number of cam teeth setting is used for the VVT control if you are running that.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

ohhh I see now, thanks! I also saw in service manuals that some later models of this 6VE1 engine come with tooths on the exhaust cams and intake cams on both banks, so I see they probably are used for vvt control.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Well, today I found that 70deg #1 tooth angle works best (light spot on the 0deg timing mark) I had to place a degreed wheel and see the missing teeth through the sensors hole.... turns out the missing teeth is acutally a big single tooth, Im now with dual wheel and one tooth on cam setup selected cop too... I tested with a strobe light and ignition moves accordingly with the "cranking advance" value but when selecting fixed timing and using several values (0,10,20,etc) the strobe light stays at 0 deg for some reason I cant explain.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

today I was working on this project and found that the 6g72 hall effect circuitry I used just wouldnt work as I lost sync at 4krpm and tried everything and couldnt go past it.
So I decided to give the Manuals generic hall effect sensor with open collector circuit setup a try and success!!!
I kept the cam circuitry the same as the 6g72 though.