Trying to spool sonner

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nano
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Trying to spool sonner

Post by nano »

Hi guys!

I have a 91' turbo CRX. Engine is a D16A9 (Similar to a DOHC ZC), CR: 8.4:1, stock cams and a light head work. I'm using a Garrett GT2860R turbo and a custom-made, stainless-steel, ram-horn manifold.

A few weeks ago I've done a dyno run to check how it's going. Run was done in 4th gear,

I'm thinking I can improve the turbo spooling playing around with ignition timing, may I have to retard ignition before boost? Or lean the mixture?

Thank you!!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Trying to spool sonner

Post by turbo conversion »

Is this engine factory turbo or is it factory naturally aspirated?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
nano
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nano »

Hi David, thanks for your reply. Engine is factory N/A
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

The cam profile (grind) is completely different for an N/A engine verse a turbo engine.

You can play with fuel and timing with the N/A cams but, to get maximum performance and
quickest spool possible you need turbo cams.

You can get the factory cams ground to turbo specs for not a lot of money.

P.M me and I will go into more detail.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is nitrous an option? :twisted:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

I don't think retarding timing is the answer.
Engine will have lower ve and produce less exhaust gas anyway.
More timing always helps my turbo motors.
nano
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nano »

turbo conversion wrote:The cam profile (grind) is completely different for an N/A engine verse a turbo engine.

You can play with fuel and timing with the N/A cams but, to get maximum performance and
quickest spool possible you need turbo cams.

You can get the factory cams ground to turbo specs for not a lot of money.

P.M me and I will go into more detail.

David
Hi! Yes, I'm up to it. Actually, a friend will buy a Delta 272-2 cams (turbo) for his Civic, so I will test them in my car first
Matt Cramer wrote:Is nitrous an option? :twisted:
Haha, not (yet).
suberimakuri wrote:I don't think retarding timing is the answer.
That's what I'm trying to resolve. I've pulled 5 degrees on 100-150kpa and 3500-5000 RPM range and nothing but a power hole was discovered. So I will try adding some degrees. What you can say about fuel? May I need to enrich mixture to generate more heat?
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Don't enrich as that will cool exhaust. You just have to go for most efficiency, so good timing and AFR.
Then what will be will be, unless you're running a giant turbo why not just Rev it higher and change gear later to stay in power band?
This is why rally cars have anti lag.
VLC-05L
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by VLC-05L »

suberimakuri wrote:I don't think retarding timing is the answer.
Retarding the timing will create boost earlier, it wont have the engine producing torque. If the timing is retarded enough, it creates more heat through the rear housing of the turbo and turns the turbo faster. This is essentially how anti-lag setups work. Not very good for the life of your turbo though.
CB70 12V 3cyl 993cc Daihatsu | MS2X Sequential Fuel and Spark | Flex Fuel Launch Control | Raspberry Pi Dash
VLC-05L
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by VLC-05L »

nano wrote:Hi guys!

I have a 91' turbo CRX. Engine is a D16A9 (Similar to a DOHC ZC), CR: 8.4:1, stock cams and a light head work. I'm using a Garrett GT2860R turbo and a custom-made, stainless-steel, ram-horn manifold.

I'm thinking I can improve the turbo spooling playing around with ignition timing, may I have to retard ignition before boost? Or lean the mixture?

Thank you!!
What are the variables in the log?

Top pain, red is MAP in KPA? White is RPM, but what is green? I hope Green isn't TPS? If it is, why is the max 89%? Is your throttle plate opening completely?

GT2860R on a 1.6 should be making more boost than that by that RPM. What AR rear housing are you running?
CB70 12V 3cyl 993cc Daihatsu | MS2X Sequential Fuel and Spark | Flex Fuel Launch Control | Raspberry Pi Dash
blueblazer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blueblazer »

Add a bung to your exhaust before the turbo and pipe in fresh air. Use a switched circuit to control an air valve. Use the air charge from the turbo to force the air into the exhaust. This should result in small explosions in the exhaust that will speed up the turbo spooling. It's referred to as an "anti-lag" system. A lot of rally cars run such systems. The megasquirt should be able to control it like NOS but flip your settings around.
Andy