Complete Noob

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Complete Noob

Post by Udbassist »

Ok, well that's good info. Now if I could figure out the wierd problems with it stumbling.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Anyone have any idea of what direction I need to go? I know the ignition settings are probably wrong(set as EDIS). Not sure about timing.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Anyone have any idea of what direction I need to go? I know the ignition settings are probably wrong(set as EDIS). Not sure about timing.
Throw a timing light on it and make sure the timing is correct across the rev range first, then.
Udbassist wrote:Ok, well that's good info. Now if I could figure out the wierd problems with it stumbling.
This is likely a fuel issue - both the VE table and acceleration enrichment will need to be dialed in. Unfortunately, without a wideband O2 sensor setup, you are playing the tuner game in super hard mode.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

The accel enrichment. Can someone explain how all that works? I've read the manual but that seemed to of confused me more haha. I know I need TPS based.

Also, with the car off, it shows the throttle being opened at 30ish%. Do I need to remove my TPS sensor and manually back down the throttle plate to 0%? If that's even possible?
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Never mind. Yea, can't believe I asked that.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Sorry for the long delay on posts. Been having issues getting the car reliable. Ok so I bought a wideband. Now, do I need anything other than the actual sensor?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Did the WB come with a controller? Tell us specifically what WB hardware you have (make/model).
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Stock Bosch 17014. No controller. Just yanked it at the junkyard.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

It looks like that is an LSU 4.2, and you are going to need a controller. I would recommend looking at <14point7.com>, maybe the $35 "SLC Free" kit will meet your needs; otherwise, the $75 "Spartan2" is a favorite of many here. It includes a controller and the LSU 4.9 sensor.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

billr wrote:It looks like that is an LSU 4.2, and you are going to need a controller. I would recommend looking at <14point7.com>, maybe the $35 "SLC Free" kit will meet your needs; otherwise, the $75 "Spartan2" is a favorite of many here. It includes a controller and the LSU 4.9 sensor.
Just my luck. I was under the impression that MS handled all of that itself. I have actually heard it from a few people. So instead of swapping sensors, A wideband gauge would be what I need, correct? I know some had that intergrated in the gauge.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You don't need a gauge, although any "gauge" system must have a controller that should be usable. Be sure that any gauge you intend to use has an electrical output that the MS can use, and that it isn't just an NB-type "on/off" output.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Ok guys, having a huge electrical issue with the car right now. On the Voltage gauge, what number is ideal? Yesterday it was at 14 and now today it was bouncing between 11.88 and 12.4
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Now this evening it's back to 14 volts. Any ideas?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Udbassist wrote:Now this evening it's back to 14 volts. Any ideas?
Off the top of what's left of my head....... Regulator getting flaky,maybe???

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Recently I have noticed a bit of stumble when I'm in a high gear at a low RPM. I was wondering what the highest map value should I sat it at? What increments are best?
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Ok, after watching the VE table I noticed my MAP goes as low as 18. Right now the range is from 30-250. I'm gonna say my 1.8L turbo is going much above 160 if at all. So would a range of 20-160 be appropriate? Increments of 15?