Complete Noob

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Complete Noob

Post by Udbassist »

Hi Guys, My name is Jonathan. I purchased a vehicle from CT with a MS system already in it. I haven't had a car before with this much aftermarket stuff before. I am very lost. I was mainly wanting to see if anyone on here could offer some help. Could someone look at my current tune and tell me if anything needs adjusting before I take it to a tuning shop or attempt it myself. I have 2 datalogs. One is me driving it about a half a mile and the other is just idling. Thank you in advance for any help possible. I am unsure which MS I am running.

Car info
2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Technica
1.8L Turbo
450CC injectors
8.5:1 Comp pistons
Evo 8 Recirc Valve
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Complete Noob

Post by Udbassist »

Also, I'm not looking for a free tune. I'm just looking for any advice. Or to know if my issues are tune related or otherwise. I really don't want to spend hundreds on a tune if it isn't needed.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Go through the manaul for your version of MS - links at the top of the page. Don't be in a hurry and read it carefully. It's really not difficult to get a half decent tune from scratch quickly. Getting it 100% perfect takes a bit longer.

All the info you need is in the manual - unlike some other makes. :D
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Well I guess I can give it a try. Biggest fear is misreading something and really screwing the car up. Guess I don't trust myself enough haha.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

first question would be how did the vehicle drive, does it start easy, does it idle well, did it do something to make you feel that the tune needed to be changed. You could ask the person that you bought the vehicle from what ms system is in it and how much driving has been done with the installed system. unless you have reason to think the system isn't tuned properly or you know its not running well, then take your time and read the manuals, if you run into a question while reading the manual then you ask the question here. and we (all the members of this forum)will try to help out.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Thanks!

Yes the car cranks awesome and drives great from what I've drove it. The idle and boost are the issue. Along with a high AFR. The guy that had it before me thought it was a tuning issue on why it would not boost. I took the turbo off and found that shaft play beat the wheels to pieces. I replaced the turbo then I replaced the TB. Now it idles at about 1400 and bounces sometimes. So it may be more of a vacuum leak than a tune issue but I just don't really know. I'll be looking for leaks tomorrow.

Also, the boost issue I believe I fixed. I'll will drive it tomorrow to find out.
dave926
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dave926 »

Whats your location?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Udbassist wrote:I took the turbo off and found that shaft play beat the wheels to pieces.
Yikes :o! Yep that will keep the turbo from turboing, for certain! The next big question in my mind is..... where did all the pieces of the turbo go???

Of course I ask the question somewhat rhetorically, because I already know what the answer is. If this was my car I wouldn't be driving it until I tore it down and removed all the turbo parts!

Just my 2 cents, of course.............

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Dave- Asheboro, NC

Ken- the wheel that was beaten was on the exhaust side. I'm hoping it went out the exhaust. >_<
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Whew!!!! Glad to hear that!!! :lol:

The post I quoted said, "wheels" (plural)!

Not as serious as could be I'm sure. :D Sorry to be a bother!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Your no bother at all!
dave926
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dave926 »

Udbassist wrote:Dave- Asheboro, NC

Ken- the wheel that was beaten was on the exhaust side. I'm hoping it went out the exhaust. >_<
Thats quite the drive from CT! I live in RI, so if you were local I would be willing to lend a hand.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Yea I drove all the way there and towed it back. It was quite an adventure haha.

Ken- I'm sorry but yes I seen where I said wheels. That's my fault. Sorry about that.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Can anyone tell me what AD6 raw and AD7 raw pertains to?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Udbassist wrote:Can anyone tell me what AD6 raw and AD7 raw pertains to?
They are the voltage on AD6 and AD7 converted to a 10 bit (0 to 1023) value. So 0 represents 0 volts and 1023 represents 5 volts.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Ok, that explains why I was only finding board related info. Those 2 lit up red so I was wanting to make sure it wasn't something extremely important.
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

So I opened Engine Constants. Everything was wrong. It was set up for a V8. Once I changed everything to what it should of been, it will not crank.

Required Fuel Calc info

Engine Displacement- 350
Cylinders 8
Fuel Flow- 315 cc/min
AFR- 14.7

New-
Engine displacement 111.85
Cylinders 4
Fuel Flow- 450 cc/min
AFR 14.7

Not sure about my injectors so I don't know what to set the PWM to.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Udbassist wrote: Not sure about my injectors so I don't know what to set the PWM to.
Measure their resistance with a multimeter. Low impedance are 1-4 ohms, high impedance are 10 ohms or more.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Udbassist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Udbassist »

Ok so I've been doing a lot of tuning here lately and had a few questions.
I also seen after I posted my "current tune" file, I noticed everything was defaulted. Sorry for wasting your time to anyone who downloaded it.

How do I adjust Dead Time? It's grayed out. Do I adjust this while the car is on? I'm doing a lot of offline adjusting.
AFR Targets- how do I adjust that? It's all in voltage. I have no clue how to adjust it using volts.
What all controls the idle? I've done quite a bit of research but once I change my constants, I'm idling at about 1700 now. On occasions it still likes to hunt.
Boost Duty- it's all set to 20. Is that percentage of max boost?
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

It appears that you are using MS1, right? Post a recent msq.

The 20 in your boost table corresponds to duty cycle - and that is totally dependent on your boost control solenoid and wastegate. 20% duty cycle commanded from MS delivers XX psi.

You have your idle control algorithm set to B&G On-Off but I don't see how that is able to be adjusted nor do I know how that works (I'm on MS2). What kind of idle valve do you have on the car?
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP