Misfiring Subaru, Please Help

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

818Racer
MS/Extra Newbie

Misfiring Subaru, Please Help

Post by 818Racer »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but reading through the posts I believe that this is the place to get answers.

My dad and I are building a Factory Five 818R with a MS3-Pro ECU.

The donor engine we are using is a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Turbo. Other than adding a Bosch Wideband 02 sensor and a Killer-B oil pan the engine is at factory settings.

The issue we are having is that cylinders 2 and 3 are not firing. We can unplug the coils for cylinders 1 and 4 while the engine is running and the engine will die, but nothing changes when cylinder 2 and 3 coils are unplugged.

We had the wiring harness made for the car by Verycoolparts (http://www.verycoolparts.com/). After tracing the coil wires back they are all grounded and cylinder 1 goes to spark out A on the gray connector on a MS3pro, cylinder 2 goes to spark out B, cylinder 3 goes to Spark out C, and cylinder 4 goes to spark out D.

We thought it might be a wiring issue, but now we are thinking it might be in the tuning. Maybe you guys can help? Trying to finish the car up by this weekend and getting the motor running on all 4 cylinders would help. If there is anymore information needed please let me know!

I have attached a msl file to look at adding slight throttle and letting it sit at idle.
63 Bug
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Misfiring Subaru, Please Help

Post by 63 Bug »

Hi

Have you checked that the spark plugs on 2 and 3 are wet, in that they are getting fuel?

And out of interest, where did you get the tune from, because I am in the process of putting MS2 onto a subaru turbo engine and could do with a good base map...
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

When you disconnect the plug wires from 2 & 3 you do get spark at the coils, correct; looks as good as spark at 1 & 4 when you disconnect those?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

cylinder 1 goes to spark out A on the gray connector on a MS3pro, cylinder 2 goes to spark out B, cylinder 3 goes to Spark out C, and cylinder 4 goes to spark out D.
But the Subaru firing order is 1, 3, 2, 4 so you've got 2 and 3 mixed up, they are firing at the wrong time.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
818Racer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 818Racer »

Thanks elutionsdesign!

We ended up taking it to a local Subaru shop after a week of troubleshooting and it took them a whole day to figure that out!

63 Bug,

The tune came programmed on the MS3-pro when we got the wiring harness made with Wayne Presley at VeryCoolParts. I would not suggest using them for the wiring, but the tune was put on by them and he could probably send it to you.