Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

4AGE ITB

Post by Spit4ag »

Alpha N log.zip
comp alphan.csv
spitfire4agITB.msq
So now that the engine is starting I am working on getting it to idle OK, and run. Engine is a toyota 4AGE 16V with ITBs and EDIS. ECU is MS2 V3.0, firmware is current 3.3.3.

Issues I have right now is when it first starts it can take a bit for the ECU to match the RPM, it seems to sit at half of what the engine is actually running then suddenly jump to where it should be.

It will also rev up OK, but if no throttle is applied when the RPM is dropping it will just die.

I have a few data logs and the MSQ it is using right now. Any advice is appreciated.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4AGE ITB

Post by elutionsdesign »

There is no regular datalog in the zip file, there are two *.csv files in there that act like a regular datalog to Megalogviewer but there is no content. The single *.csv file appears to be fine, exactly what you would expect from EDIS. From the tune file both fuel and timing are set for Speed Density and you've named things alpha-n so you don't have things set correctly one way or another. I would recommend setting both to ITB mode. Also reset the cranking rpm, 650 is kind of high, better at 300.

Regular datalog go to Data logging at the tab on the top of Tuner Studio menu bar, select Start Logging, accept the default time/date stamp. When done logging go back and hit Stop. Post a log of your start and run attempts.

Scott
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

OK, that makes sense. I was trying to datalog from the same area as the composite log.
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

2015-05-16_19_modified.zip
spit alpha n.msq
Ok, here is an updated MSQ, and data log. I need to readjust the idle as once warmed up it sits at 1700 or so rpm.

Big issue I am running into now is that once the TPS goes above 35% there is no fuel. The PW drops to 0 and the engine cuts out.

EDIT* figured out how to modify data logs, so log is up.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

It still isn't running in ITB mode, you are in Speed Density mode, go into General Settings to change that. Where is your MAP sensor plumbed in? Its reading way over 100 everythere. You have a programmable output set and that seems to be cutting your fuel, what is that?

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

2015-05-17_17.29.40.msq
current log.zip
Ok, it is not in ITB mode until I can log the MAP sensor and see where I will need to set up the transition points. It was also reading high on the MAP signal because it was idling at 17-1800rpm. Today that is down to 1000-1100. In the next few days I will pull out my manometer and sync the throttle bodies.

It is now fueling above 40% tps, but at about 70-80% the engine seems like the air is losing too much velocity and bogging the engine a little. Which I kind of expected. My ducati did the same thing with the stock ITBs and alpha n tuning.

I'm attaching a short log and the tune I saved once I shut it off today.
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

So it is running much better today. I drove it to school, which is 13 miles each way. Idle is still a little high at 1200rpm once fully warm.

I figured out why it went flat on acceleration once I got above 60% throttle. The ignition table was set up for boost and was pulling timing back into the teens at higher RPM and higher throttle settings. So I redid the ignition map to just be full advance above 3500RPM and 50% throttle and above. No pinging, but I will hook up a det can soon so that I can monitor it better.

It is a different experience driving with ITBs on it. When I get on the throttle I can't hear the exhaust over the intake now. Plus I get even more looks coming off of a light.

This is in preparation for a motor build. The MS and ITBs went on now so that I can get a feel for tuning and how to set everything up. I have a spare motor that I am saving up to build. Right now the plans are 12:1 compression, 288 intake and 272 exhaust cams, the ITBs, H beam rods, forged pistons, balanced rotating assembly, and some head work.

As of now I would consider it a success story with work continuing.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Cool project. I tuned one of those with ITB's in a Lotus (Lowcost) 7 replica here in the Seattle area. It really scooted.

Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

Thanks, it has been fun, and very educating. I have seen the locosts around the internet, but never seen one on the road. They look like a whole bunch of fun and I can see a 4age being a good motor for them.

I redid some of my vacuum lines and get a much better map reading than I did. At idle its down in the high 50s to low 60s now. I originally had it hooked into the vacuum nipples on top of the TBs, but that was not a good signal at all. Now since I finally bought the right adapter it is hooked into a port on the vacuum manifold that is plumbed into T3 adapter with larger vacuum lines. Once I log it for a few drives I will switch over to ITB mode and see what difference it makes.
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Great work. Above 80 or 85 kpa they really tune well alpha n.